Is Green Shield travel insurance the best in 2023?
Green Shield Canada is primarily known as a provider of health and dental insurance coverage for individuals and families. It recently expanded its service to travel insurance known as Green Shield travel insurance, which offers optional medical travel coverage to its Canadian members.
This review delves into the offerings and aspects of Green Shield travel insurance in Canada, highlighting its pros, cons, coverage, exclusions, pricing factors, and tips for obtaining the best rates.
5 Key Takeaways on Green Shield travel insurance
- Green Shield travel insurance offers optional medical travel coverage to its Canadian members since January 1, 2023.
- Green Shield is a well-established insurance company with a strong reputation.
- Coverage is capped at a maximum of $1 million per trip and premiums may be higher compared to other providers.
- You can choose between 30-day and 60-day plans, suitable for short and extended trips.
- Look for discounts tied to memberships (e.g., AAA), student status, or seniors.
Our 2023 review on Green Shield travel plans
With the resurgence of Canadian travel, the need to offer a comprehensive travel product, meeting the desires and needs of both plan sponsors and members, has never been more crucial. And that’s why Green Shield Canada extended its offering to travel insurance.
Green Shield travel insurance offers optional medical travel coverage to its members in Canada. The coverage is designed to supplement your provincial/territorial health plan and provide you with peace of mind when you travel outside of Canada.
Here are some of the pros and cons of Green Shield travel insurance in Canada:
Pros of Green Shield:
- Peace of mind knowing that you are covered for any unexpected medical expenses while you are travelling
- Convenience of purchasing coverage through your existing Green Shield plan
- Competitive rates and coverage options
- Easy to use online claims process
- Green Shield is a well-established insurance company with a good reputation
Cons of Green Shield:
- The coverage may not be as comprehensive as some other travel insurance providers
- There is a waiting period of 14 days before the coverage takes effect
- The coverage is limited to a maximum of $1 million per trip
- The premiums may be higher than some other travel insurance providers
Here are some additional details about Green Shield's travel insurance in Canada:
- The coverage is available to all Green Shield members who have active health and/or dental benefits.
- You must be at least 18 years old to purchase the coverage.
- There is a waiting period of 14 days before the coverage takes effect.
- The coverage is limited to a maximum of $1 million per trip.
- The exclusions may vary depending on the specific policy you purchase.
- The exclusions may be subject to change.
- It is your responsibility to read the policy carefully and understand the exclusions before you purchase it.
- If you have any questions about Green Shield travel insurance exclusions, you should contact Green Shield customer service for clarification.
Before gettong a quote with Green Shield travel insurance, compare its offer to that of other insurers on the market:
Compare the best travel insurance plans on the market!
Does Green Shield cover travel insurance?
Commencing from January 1, 2023, Green Shield started elevating its standard travel offering to furnish additional assistance to plan members confronted with unforeseen medical emergencies during their travels. This upgraded travel product was meant to supersede the current standard version across all Group plans, preserving our pooled travel rates untouched. For plan sponsors with distinct or non-standard travel arrangements, your old plan will remain unaffected on January 1, 2023.
What is Green Shield's travel coverage in Canada?
Here are some of the key features of Green Shield's travel insurance in Canada:
- Coverage for emergency medical expenses, including doctor's visits, hospital stays, and ambulance transportation
- Coverage for emergency dental expenses
- Coverage for emergency travel assistance, such as help with lost passports and missed flights
- Coverage for baggage loss and damage
- Coverage for trip cancellation and interruption
- Optional: Covid travel coverage
Good to know
You can choose from two coverage levels: 30 days or 60 days. The 30-day plan is a good option for short trips, while the 60-day plan is better for longer trips. To purchase optional medical travel coverage, you can contact Green Shield customer service or log in to your online account.
What is not covered by Green Shield travel coverage?
Green Shield travel medical insurance has a number of exclusions, which means that there are certain things that the policy does not cover.
Here are some of the most common exclusions:
- Pre-existing medical conditions: Green Shield travel insurance will not cover any claims related to pre-existing medical conditions, whether or not they were disclosed at the time of purchase.
- War, terrorism, and civil unrest: Green Shield travel medical insurance will not cover any claims that are caused by war, terrorism, or civil unrest.
- Participation in dangerous activities: Green Shield travel insurance will not cover any claims that are caused by participating in dangerous activities, such as skydiving, scuba diving, or bungee jumping.
- Loss or damage to property: Green Shield travel insurance will not cover the loss or damage to property, such as luggage, cameras, or cell phones.
- Trip cancellation or interruption: Green Shield travel medical insurance will not cover trip cancellation or interruption if it is caused by a reason that is not covered by the policy, such as a pre-existing medical condition or a dangerous activity.
How much does Green Shield travel insurance cost?
The cost of Green Shield travel insurance will vary depending on a number of factors, including the length of your trip, your age, your destination, and the level of coverage you choose. Here is a general overview of how much Green Shield travel insurance costs:
- Trip length: The cost of Green Shield travel insurance increases as the length of your trip increases. For example, a 30-day policy will typically cost less than a 60-day policy.
- Age: The cost of Green Shield travel insurance also increases as you get older. For example, a 20-year-old will typically pay less for travel insurance than a 60-year-old.
- Destination: The cost of Green Shield travel insurance also varies depending on your destination. For example, travel insurance to Europe will typically cost more than travel insurance to Mexico.
- Level of coverage: The level of coverage you choose will also affect the cost of Green Shield travel insurance. For example, a policy with comprehensive coverage will typically cost more than a policy with basic coverage.
|Travel features||Impact on Green Shield travel insurance cost||Examples|
|Trip Length||Longer trips generally cost more||30-day policy costs less than 60-day policy|
|Age||Older age results in higher costs||20-year-old pays less than 60-year-old|
|Destination||Different destinations have varying costs||Europe coverage costs more than Mexico|
|Level of Coverage||More coverage leads to higher costs||Comprehensive coverage costs more than basic|
5 tips to save money on your Green Shield travel insurance
- Buy your policy in advance: The earlier you buy your policy, the more likely you are to get a good rate.
- Buy your policy online: You can usually get a better rate by buying your policy online.
- Compare rates from different providers: Don't just buy from Green Shield. Compare rates from a few different providers to make sure you're getting the best deal.
- Consider a multi-trip policy: If you travel frequently, you may want to consider a multi-trip policy. This can save you money in the long run.
- Look for discounts: Green Shield often offers discounts for things like AAA membership, student status, and senior citizen status.
A good way to save money on your travel insurance is to compare offers before chosing a plan. You can do so with our comparison tool below and obtain a free travel insurance quote:
Prepare for your trip
Compare. Choose. Save.
How to contact Green Shield travel insurance?
Ensuring clear communication and assistance for your travel insurance needs is paramount. Green Shield Canada offers multiple avenues for you to get in touch:
- Green Shield's phone number: You can reach Green Shield's dedicated customer service centre at 1-888-711-1119. The customer service team is available to assist you from Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 8:30 pm Eastern Time.
- Email address: If you prefer written communication, you can reach out via email at [email protected].
- Website: Green Shield's official website might offer additional resources, FAQs, and information related to their travel insurance coverage.
- Online account: If you're a registered member, you might find information about your coverage, claims, and policy details through your online account.
- Social media channels: Some companies use social media platforms to provide customer support and address queries. It's worth checking if Green Shield has active social media channels that you can use for assistance.