Is RIMI travel insurance the best in 2023?
When embarking on a journey, ensuring your safety and well-being is paramount. RIMI Travel Insurance Canada, offered by RIMI Insurance Solutions Inc., presents an array of travel insurance plans tailored to various needs, including visitors to Canada travel insurance.
But how good is RIMI's travel insurance? What are its coverages' pros and cons? Is it affordable and is it better than its competitors?
In partnership with Secure Travel, an insurance distribution platform operated by RIMI Insurance Solutions Inc., RIMI's plans encompass comprehensive coverage for medical expenses, trip cancellations, interruptions, and a range of other travel-related risks. Let’s review it in detail.
Find out all about Rimi's offers on this page!
Key takeaways on RIMI's travel insurance
- RIMI travel insurance offers a wide spectrum of protection: medical expenses, trip disruptions, and much more.
- RIMI offers great coverage for affordable prices.
- Purchasing RIMI travel insurance is hassle-free and can be conveniently done online.
- Some RIMI travel plans may have exclusions for pre-existing medical conditions.
Our 2023 review on RIMI travel insurance in Canada
RIMI Insurance Solutions Inc. is a Canadian insurance company that offers a variety of travel insurance plans, including visitors to Canada travel insurance. You get insurance under Secure Travel — an insurance distribution platform operated by RIMI Insurance Solutions Inc. RIMI’s plans provide comprehensive coverage for medical expenses, trip cancellation and interruption, and other travel-related risks.
Here are some of the pros and cons of RIMI travel insurance for visitors to Canada:
Pros of RIMI travel insurance:
- Comprehensive coverage for medical expenses
- Coverage for trip cancellation and interruption and other travel-related risks
- Affordable plans
- Easy to purchase online
- Available in multiple languages
Pros of RIMI travel insurance:
- Waiting period of 8 days for medical expenses, if you purchase your policy more than 30 days following your arrival in Canada
- Some plans have exclusions for pre-existing medical conditions
- Not all plans cover all travel activities, such as winter sports or scuba diving
Overall, RIMI is a good option to consider if you are looking for comprehensive travel insurance for your trip to Canada. You may also want to compare RIMI's plans to other travel insurance providers like RBC travel insurance and Manulife travel insurance to find the best policy for your needs.
For the best coverage/prive value, compare RIMI's offer to that of its competitors:
Compare the best travel insurance plans on the market!
What is the coverage of RIMI travel insurance in Canada?
What is covered by RIMI travel insurance
RIMI travel insurance covers a wide range of expenses, including:
- Medical expenses: This includes hospitalization, surgery, ambulance services, and medical evacuation. Coverage for medical expenses is subject to a waiting period of 8 days if you purchase your policy more than 30 days following your arrival in Canada.
- Trip cancellation and interruption: This covers the cost of your non-refundable travel expenses if your trip is cancelled or interrupted due to a covered event, such as illness, injury, or a natural disaster.
- Lost luggage: This covers the cost of replacing lost or stolen luggage, up to a certain limit.
- Trip delay: This covers the cost of meals, accommodation, and transportation if your trip is delayed due to a covered event.
- Medical assistance: This includes 24/7 assistance from a team of travel experts who can help you with anything from medical emergencies to lost passports.
- Pre-existing medical conditions: Some RIMI travel insurance plans cover pre-existing medical conditions, subject to certain conditions.
Good to know
The specific coverage that you are eligible for will depend on the type of RIMI travel insurance plan that you purchase. The coverage limits for each benefit vary by plan, and there may be deductibles or copays that you will be responsible for paying.
What is not covered by RIMI travel insurance
RIMI travel insurance has a number of exclusions, which means that certain events or expenses are not covered by the policy. Some of the most common exclusions include:
- Pre-existing medical conditions: If you have a pre-existing medical condition, it may not be covered by RIMI travel insurance, unless you have purchased a plan that specifically includes coverage for pre-existing conditions.
- War or terrorism: If your trip is cancelled or interrupted due to war or terrorism, it is not covered by RIMI travel insurance.
- Intentional acts: If you are injured or your luggage is lost or stolen due to an intentional act, it is not covered by RIMI travel insurance.
- Activities that are considered to be high-risk: RIMI travel insurance may not cover activities that are considered to be high-risk, such as winter sports or scuba diving.
- Claims that are fraudulent or exaggerated: RIMI travel insurance may not cover claims that are fraudulent or exaggerated.
What is RIMI's travel insurance offer for visitors to Canada?
Operated by RIMI, Secure Travel offers an insurance policy called Visitors to Canada Insurance. Secure Travel has organized Visitors to Canada insurance on your behalf, sourced from globally renowned insurance firms. This insurance offers extensive coverage, competitive premium rates, and exceptional claims services that are accessible 24/7, year-round.
The acquisition of Visitors to Canada insurance serves the purpose of safeguarding your financial well-being in case of a medical emergency. Various plans with distinct benefit limits are at your disposal.
These benefits encompass costs incurred due to a medical emergency associated with:
|Parameter||RIMI Standard Plan||RIMI Enhanced Plan|
|Emergency medical||Up to plan limit||Up to plan limit|
|Prescription drugs||30 days up to $500||30 days up to $1,000|
|Private duty nurse||$5,000||$5,000|
|Paramedical services||$300 per service||$500 per service|
|Emergency dental||$1,000 per injury Non-injury pain $300||$3,000 per injury Non-injury pain $500|
|Follow-up visits||3 visits||3 visits|
|Repatriation of remains||$5,000||$10,000|
|Accidental death & dismemberment||$50,000||$50,000|
|Hospital allowance||NA||$50 per day (max 10 days)|
|Transportation to bedside||NA||$150/day (max $3,000)|
|Meals & accommodation||NA||$150/day (max $3,000)|
|Return & escort of children||NA||Economy Airfare|
|Excess baggage return||NA||$500|
Does RIMI travel insurance covers pre-existing medical conditions?
Yes! RIMI's plans provide coverage for pre-existing medical conditions, provided that the conditions have remained stable for the preceding:
- 90 days for individuals under 69 years of age; and
- 180 days for individuals between 70 and 84 years of age leading up to the policy's effective date.
How much does RIMI travel insurance cost?
The cost of RIMI travel insurance Canada quote depends on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The length of your trip
- The destination of your trip
- The level of coverage you choose
- Whether or not you have any pre-existing medical conditions
For example, a 30-year-old person travelling to Canada for a week with the standard level of coverage can expect to pay around CAD$100, while a 60-year-old person travelling to Canada for two weeks with the enhanced level of coverage can expect to pay around CAD$300.
|Buyer's age||Duration of travel||RIMI travel coverage level||Estimated cost|
Here are some additional things to keep in mind about the cost of RIMI travel insurance:
- The cost of RIMI travel insurance Canada quote can vary depending on the time of year you travel.
- The cost of RIMI travel insurance Canada quote can also vary depending on the current exchange rate.
- It is important to purchase travel insurance as soon as you book your trip. This will ensure that you get the best possible price.
Compare RIMI's rates to the prices of other travel insurances on the market using our free comparison tool below:
Prepare for your trip
Compare. Choose. Save.
How to contact RIMI travel insurance?
If you need to get in touch with RIMI Travel Insurance, here are the various ways you can reach them:
- Address: 4711 Yonge Street - 10th Floor, Toronto, Ontario, M2N 5M4, Canada
- Email: For inquiries or information, feel free to reach out to us via email at [email protected].
- Call centre: RIMI’s phone number is here to assist you: 1-833-366-0878.
- Instagram: Stay connected with RIMI on Instagram and follow our updates at securetravel_rimi.
- RIMI's website: login to your account or use RIMI's private communication channels.
What is RIMI Canuck Voyage travel medical insurance?
It is an Emergency Travel Medical Plan from RIMI that offers Canadians essential coverage for unexpected illnesses or injuries that occur while travelling outside of Canada or their province of residence. This plan provides a coverage limit of $7 million. Here’s what it covers:
- Emergency hospitalization
- Doctors’ and medical services
- Diagnostic services
- Medical appliances
- Private duty nurse
- Prescription drugs
- Paramedical services
- Emergency dental
- Emergency transportation
- Transportation to bedside
- Meals and accommodation
- Hospital allowance
- Return and escort of children
- Return of travel companion
- Pet return
- Vehicle return
- Excess baggage return
- Repatriation of remains