Travel Insurance UK: Complete Guide (2023)
Travelling between the UK and Canada presents great opportunities, but it also means careful consideration of getting a good travel insurance UK plan, for the cost of healthcare may be extremely high.
But how does it work? What are the types of coverage you can get? What are the best travel insurance UK plans? We've got you covered.
This guide will walk you through every aspect of travel insurance UK plans, including coverage, costs, pros, cons, and more. You can use our comparator to compare plans and get free quotes so you can pick a policy that suits your unique needs the best.
Travel Insurance UK: 5 Key Takeaways
- Travel insurance UK is not a legal requirement, but highly recommended for Canadians travelling to the UK.
- There are different types of insurances available: single-trip, multi-trip and annual travel insurance.
- The cost of travel insurance varies based on policy, age, health condition, length of trip and activities you plan to do.
- Some leading providers are World Nomads, Allianz, Manulife, Tugo, AIG and Blue Cross travel insurance.
- Compare plans and get free quotes using the HelloSafe comparator.
What is travel insurance UK?
Travel insurance Canada to UK is not a legal requirement for Canadian citizens travelling to the UK, but it is highly recommended. This is because Canada does not have a reciprocal health agreement with the UK, so you will not be eligible for free healthcare if you fall ill or are injured while in the country.
Medical costs in the UK can be very high without insurance, so travel insurance for visitors to UK is therefore critical and can help to protect you from heavy financial burden. But what about travel insurance UK to Canada? Well, the same applies. If you're travelling from the UK to Canada, getting a private health and dental insurance plan is essential because Canadian provincial healthcare does not cover visitors.
What should you look for in a travel insurance UK policy?
When choosing travel insurance for a trip from Canada to the UK (or from the UK to Canada), it’s important to make sure that the policy covers all of your needs. Some of the things to look for when buying a worldwide travel insurance UK plan:
- Medical coverage: This should include coverage for both emergency and non-emergency medical expenses, as well as repatriation costs if you need to be flown home for further treatment.
- Cancellation cover: This will reimburse you if you have to cancel or shorten your trip for any reason, such as illness, bad weather, or a strike.
- Baggage loss and delay cover: This will cover the cost of replacing lost or delayed luggage.
- Personal liability cover: This will protect you if you are sued for accidental injury or damage to property.
You should also make sure that the policy is valid for the length of your stay in the UK (or in Canada if you’re travelling the other way).
The cost of travel insurance for a trip to the UK will vary depending on the length of your stay, the level of coverage you choose and your age and health. It's best to compare multiple options before buying a policy. All you need to do is use our comparator tool below and get free personalised quotes from the best travel insurance providers.
What are the different types of travel insurance UK for Canadians?
There are three types of coverage options that you can choose from. These are single-trip coverage, multi-trip coverage and annual-trip coverage. Here's a quick overview of these three options:
Single-trip travel insurance UK
Single-Trip Travel Insurance for Canadians travelling to the UK is designed for travellers who are embarking on a specific journey, whether it's a short vacation or a longer stay in the UK. This type of insurance provides coverage for the duration of that particular trip.
Multi-trip travel insurance UK
Multi-trip travel insurance, also known as annual travel insurance, provides coverage for multiple trips within a year. It's ideal for frequent travellers who plan to make multiple visits to the UK or other destinations. It's also an economical option as compared to getting insurance every time you travel.
Annual travel insurance UK
Annual travel insurance, sometimes referred to as year-round travel insurance, is a broader term that covers travel to various destinations over a year, including trips within Canada. It's suitable for travellers who want continuous coverage for all their travel needs. For Canadians travelling to the UK, this insurance can offer the same coverage as single-trip and multi-trip policies, but with the added benefit of covering travel within Canada as well.
When choosing the right travel insurance option for your trip to the UK, consider your travel frequency, trip duration and the activities you'll be participating in. Always carefully read the policy documents, understand the coverage limits and exclusions and compare options to find the one that best suits your needs and budget. Also, the rules may change based on your source country. For instance, travel insurance India to UK may not be the same as flying in from Canada.
Here is a table of the common coverages for travel insurance UK for Canadians:
|Emergency medical expenses|
|Emergency medical repatriation|
|Cancellation and curtailment|
|Baggage loss, theft, and delay|
|Passport and visa assistance|
|Pre-existing medical conditions||May be covered||May be covered||May be covered|
|Optional coverages||Extendable medical coverage, winter sports cover, adventure sports cover, terrorism cover, lost travel documents cover, and more||Extendable medical coverage, winter sports cover, adventure sports cover, terrorism cover, lost travel documents cover, and more||Extendable medical coverage, winter sports cover, adventure sports cover, terrorism cover, lost travel documents cover, and more|
These are the coverage options that are generally covered by most travel insurance policies. Exclusions, such as pre-existing conditions, can be added to your policy on request, but you'll have to pay for them accordingly.
What are the best travel insurance UK plans for Canadians?
When choosing UK travel insurance for Canadians, it’s important to consider the following factors the length of your stay in the UK, the level of coverage you need, your age and health, your budget and the activities you plan to do while in the UK.
Here are some options for the best UK travel insurance:
- World Nomads travel insurance
- Allianz travel insurance
- Manulife travel insurance
- Tugo travel insurance
- AIG travel insurance
- Blue Cross travel insurance
World Nomads is a prominent travel insurance provider renowned for extending its services to both annual and single-trip coverages, catering to the needs of travellers, including those from Canada. The company excels in furnishing insurance solutions tailored to individuals engrossed in daring or prolonged journeys, encompassing backpackers, digital nomads, and enthusiasts of diverse outdoor pursuits.
Tailored to thrill-seekers, World Nomads offers the Standard and Explorer plans, which prove ideal for those pursuing exhilarating escapades like mountain biking, skydiving, and heli-skiing. Here are its pros and cons:
- Offers coverage for scuba diving, rock climbing and skydiving
- Up to $500,000 in coverage for emergency medical evacuation
- Round-the-clock travel assistance hotline, ensuring immediate support regardless of the hour
- Coverage encompassing theft or loss of sports equipment, an aspect encompassed in both plan options
- No "Cancel for any reason" option
- No coverage for those aged 65+
- Lower trip cancellation/interruption maximums
Allianz Global Assistance
Allianz Travel Insurance is a well-established insurance company that offers a range of travel insurance plans, including coverage for medical expenses, trip cancellations, baggage loss and more. This insurer also offers a range of Allianz travel insurance UK policies, including a policy that covers pre-existing medical conditions.
While Allianz offers comprehensive coverage with great features, it has some exclusions and restrictions you be aware of. Read your policy carefully to make sure that it covers things you need coverage for. Here are its main pros and cons to give you a better understanding of Allianz's travel insurance policies:
- You get free coverage for dependent children — must be less than 17 years
- Offers extensive coverage options for long trips
- You may find lower coverage limits compared to other providers
- The policy doesn’t cover adventure and extreme sports activities
Manulife Travel Insurance
Manulife travel insurance offers flexible plans that cater to different types of travellers. They have options for single trips, multi-trip coverage and coverage for seniors. What's more? There's a collaboration between Costco and Manulife which brings forth Costco-Manulife travel insurance, presenting a fusion of their strengths. Notably, this partnership extends enticing discounts tailored for Costco members.
For Executive members, an opportunity to curtail expenses arises, with potential savings of up to 5% on a wide array of insurance plan premiums. Adding to the benefits, as a Costco member, you gain access to an exclusive Flight & Travel Accidental Death and Dismemberment benefit courtesy of the Manulife Covid-19 Pandemic Travel Plan.
Within this framework, Executive Members receive substantial coverage of $25,000 CAD, while Gold Star and Business Members are entitled to coverage amounting to $10,000 CAD, showcasing the advantages aligned with different Costco membership tiers. Here are its pros and cons:
- Offers coverage for single and multiple trips
- You can get up to $10 million in emergency medical benefits
- There’s a medical questionnaire for people more than 60 years
- Failing to call before treatment will cost you 20% of the expense
TuGo Travel Insurance
TuGo travel insurance is a Canadian company that specializes in travel coverage. They offer various plans, including coverage for emergency medical expenses, trip interruption and more.
TuGo's one notable highlight is its extensive emergency medical coverage, extending up to $10 million. Additionally, TuGo distinguishes itself by providing the option to enhance coverage with the Cancel for Any Reason (CFAR) upgrade. TuGo stands out by accommodating adventurous sports enthusiasts through an optional rider.
Tailored to the preferences of snowbirds and frequent young travellers with a penchant for thrilling activities, TuGo proves to be an optimal choice. Here are its pros and cons:
- Offer comprehensive coverage, which includes emergency medical coverage
- There are multi-trip plans for frequent travellers
- Has ease of purchase
- Some travellers find the premiums to be high compared to others
- The policy doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions
- Has an age limit of 59 for its all-inclusive package
Travel Guard by AIG
AIG Travel Guard offers travel insurance plans with varying levels of coverage. They provide medical expense coverage, trip cancellation/interruption coverage and more. Here is a quick overview of its plans:
- All-Inclusive Package: This comprehensive coverage is a prime choice, offering a substantial minimum of $2 million CDN for emergency medical expenses. It encompasses various aspects including trip cancellation, interruption, delay, emergency evacuation, and luggage coverage. Ideal for those seeking all-encompassing protection for their travels.
- Trip Cancellation & Interruption Package: Crafted to safeguard your investments, this package covers pre-paid expenses, aids in rearranging travel arrangements, and facilitates recovery from lost, damaged, or stolen luggage. Particularly suitable for individuals who are concerned about potential disruptions to their travel plans.
- Emergency Medical Travel Insurance: This package addresses the core concern of unexpected medical emergencies during your journeys. Tailored for those who prioritize their health and well-being while venturing abroad.
- Annual All-Inclusive Package: Geared towards frequent travellers embarking on a minimum of 3 trips annually, this plan ensures peace of mind. It extends coverage for emergency medical situations, trip cancellation, interruption, delay, and incidents of baggage loss or delay. This package brings together flexibility and convenience for your travel needs.
- AIG offers multiple coverage options, including security evacuation coverage and last-minute coverage
- You also get coverage for adventure travel and your pets
- The price may be higher than the average
- Some people find it hard to navigate the website and find the relevant information
Blue Cross Travel Insurance
Blue Cross Canada offers travel insurance plans that cover medical expenses, trip cancellations and other travel-related issues. To be eligible for insurance coverage through Blue Cross, you need to satisfy the following requirements:
- You must be a Canadian resident with coverage under a government health insurance plan.
- Your age must be a minimum of 30 days old as of the departure date of your trip.
Additionally, for travellers aged 55 and above, the subsequent conditions are essential:
- You must not have received medical advice against travel.
- You should not be undergoing medical treatment for a terminal-stage condition.
- You should not be undergoing dialysis treatment for kidney failure.
- A diagnosis of metastatic cancer or treatment for it within the last five years should not be present.
- You must not have been prescribed or treated with home oxygen within the past 12 months.
Here are its major pros and cons:
- Offers comprehensive coverage for medical emergencies during travel, including trip cancellation
- You get access to a broad network of healthcare providers
- The policy doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions
- There are high deductibles on certain policies and the insurance cost may be higher for elders
Good to know
Medical travel insurance, including medical travel insurance for the UK, is a basic necessity. Travel health insurance UK is covered by all the policies offered by the above travel insurance providers.
Before you decide upon a travel insurance UK compare multiple options. All you need to do is use our comparator below and get free personalized quotes from the best travel insurance providers, and in just a few moments.
Compare the best travel insurance plans on the market!
How much does Travel insurance UK cost?
The cost of travel insurance for the UK from Canada will vary depending on the specific policy you choose, your age and health, the length of your trip and the activities you plan to do. It is always a good idea to get quotes from a few different insurers before you buy a policy. Use our HelloSafe comparator above to get free quotes in seconds.
Here is how the above factors can affect the cost of travel insurance:
- Your age: Younger travellers typically pay lower premiums than older travellers.
- Your health: If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, you may need to pay a higher premium.
- The length of your trip: The longer your trip, the higher the premium.
- The activities you plan to do: If you plan to participate in any high-risk activities, such as skiing or scuba diving, you will need to pay a higher premium.
Here is a table of the estimated costs for single and multi-trip travel insurance for each of the insurers we discussed above:
|Travel Insurance provider||Cost for single trip (CAD)||Cost for multi-trip (CAD)|
How to get cheap travel insurance UK from Canada?
Here are some tips on how to get cheap travel insurance and medical travel insurance UK from Canada:
- Compare quotes from different insurers: There are many different travel insurance providers, so it is important to compare quotes from a few different companies to get the best deal. You can compare quotes online or by calling different insurers.
- Buy your insurance early: The earlier you buy your insurance, the more likely you are to get a good deal. This is because insurers typically offer discounts for early purchase.
- Consider a multi-trip policy: If you are planning on travelling multiple times in the next year, a multi-trip policy can save you money.
- Opt for a lower level of coverage: If you are healthy and do not plan on participating in any high-risk activities, you can save money by opting for a lower level of coverage.
- Look for discounts: Many insurers offer discounts for things like being a student, being a member of a professional organization, or being a frequent flyer.
- Read the fine print: Before you buy any travel insurance policy, be sure to read the fine print carefully to make sure you understand what is covered and what is not.