Is WestJet Travel Insurance the Best in 2023?
When it comes to travel insurance, WestJet offers a range of coverage plans in partnership with Allianz Global Assistance for travellers to and from Canada.
But are these coverages any good? What are their pros and cons? How much does it cost to buy travel inusrance with WestJet in 2023?
All the answers to your questions and more are in this page!
5 key takeaways on WestJet travel insurance
- WestJet offers comprehensive travel coverages (accident insurance, trip cancellation/interruption, etc.).
- WestJet is known for being affordable, easy to purchase, and backed by a reputable company.
- WestJet has limitations. It, for example, does not cover pre-existing conditions.
- WestJet offers travel accident insurance for up to $500,000 for injuries or fatalities.
- WestJet's prices range from CA$69 to CA$139 for a 1-week trip.
Our 2023 review on WestJet travel insurance in Canada
WestJet travel insurance is a travel insurance plan that is offered by WestJet and Allianz Global Assistance. It can be purchased by anyone who is travelling to or from Canada, regardless of their age or health status. The plan includes a variety of coverages, including travel accident insurance, trip cancellation and interruption insurance, medical insurance, baggage insurance, and more.
The specific coverages and limits that are available under the plan will vary depending on the type of plan that you purchase.
Here are some of the pros and cons of WestJet Travel Insurance Canada:
Pros of WestJet travel insurance:
- Easy to purchase and use
- Comprehensive coverage
- Backed by a leading travel insurance company
- Can help protect you from financial loss in the event of a travel-related emergency
Cons of WestJet travel insurance:
- Does not cover pre-existing conditions
- May need to provide proof of travel, such as a ticket or itinerary
- May need to provide proof of medical insurance, such as a health card or a letter from your doctor
- May need to pay a deductible for some claims
Overall, WestJet travel insurance is a good option since it offers great coverage. Let's discuss its coverage policy in detail to give you a better understanding of the service.
Before deciding to buy WestJet insurance, we recommend you compare the best offers currently on the market. You can do so using our free comparison tol below:
Compare the best travel insurance plans on the market!
Does the RBC WestJet credit card have travel insurance?
Yes, the RBC WestJet World Elite Mastercard does have travel insurance. The specific coverages and limits that are available will vary depending on the type of plan that you purchase and the destination of your trip.
Here are some of the coverages that are included:
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurance
- Medical travel insurance up to CA$1,000,000
- Baggage insurance up to CA$2,500 per person
- Emergency travel assistance
Good to know
To be eligible for travel insurance through the RBC WestJet World Elite Mastercard, you must purchase your trip with your credit card and pay for at least half of the trip with your credit card. You must also travel on a common carrier, such as an airline or a cruise ship.
The travel insurance that is included with the RBC WestJet World Elite Mastercard is a good option for people who are looking for basic travel insurance coverage, but the coverage is limited and may not be enough for everyone. If you are looking for more comprehensive travel insurance coverage, you may want to consider purchasing a separate travel insurance policy.
What is WestJet's travel insurance coverage in Canada?
What is covered under WestJet travel insurance
Here are some additional details about the coverages that are available under WestJet travel insurance in Canada:
- Travel accident insurance: This coverage pays out a benefit if you are injured or killed while travelling. The benefit amount is up to CA$500,000.
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurance: This coverage pays out a benefit if you have to cancel or interrupt your trip due to a covered reason, such as illness, injury, or a death in the family. The benefit amount is up to 100% of your non-refundable trip expenses.
- Medical insurance: This coverage pays for your medical expenses while you are travelling. The benefit amount is up to CA$1,000,000.
- Baggage insurance: This coverage pays for the loss or damage to your checked luggage. The benefit amount is up to CA$2,500 per person.
- Emergency travel assistance: This coverage provides you with assistance if you experience a medical emergency or other travel-related problem while you are away from home.
What is not covered under WestJet travel insurance
WestJet travel insurance has a number of exclusions, which means that they will not cover certain claims. Some of the most common exclusions include:
- Pre-existing conditions: WestJet travel insurance does not cover claims that are related to a pre-existing condition. A pre-existing condition is a medical condition that you had before you purchased your travel insurance.
- War and civil unrest: WestJet travel insurance does not cover claims that are caused by war or civil unrest.
- Terrorism: WestJet travel insurance does not cover claims that are caused by terrorism.
- Failure to comply with travel advisories: WestJet travel insurance does not cover claims if you travel to a destination that is under a Government of Canada travel advisory.
- Participation in dangerous activities: WestJet travel insurance does not cover claims that are caused by participation in dangerous activities, such as skydiving or bungee jumping.
- Loss or damage to your belongings: WestJet travel insurance does not cover loss or damage to your belongings unless they are lost or damaged due to a covered reason, such as theft or fire.
What travel insurance plans are offered by WestJet?
The exclusions and coverage options may vary depending on the type of plan that you purchase — and the destination of your trip. However, you may be able to purchase additional coverage for some of the exclusions, such as pre-existing conditions.
There are four main types of WestJet travel insurance plans. Here is a brief overview of each plan:
|WestJet Travel Insurance Plans||Features||Our review|
|Deluxe Package||Most comprehensive plan. The benefit amounts are up to $500,000 for travel accident insurance, 100% of your non-refundable trip expenses for trip cancellation & interruption insurance, $1,000,000 for medical insurance, $2,500 per person for baggage insurance & 24/7 emergency travel assistance.|
|Non medical package||Designed for people who do not need medical insurance. The benefit amounts are up to $500,000 for travel accident insurance, 100% of your non-refundable trip expenses for trip cancellation and interruption insurance, and $2,500 per person for baggage insurance.|
|Classic emergency medical plan||Designed for people who are under the age of 65 and do not have any pre-existing medical conditions. The benefit amount is up to $1,000,000 for emergency medical insurance and 24/7 emergency travel assistance.|
|Trip cancellation and interruption package||Designed for people who want to protect themselves from financial loss if they have to cancel or interrupt their trip due to a covered reason. The benefit amount is up to 100% of your non-refundable trip expenses.|
How much does WestJet travel insurance cost?
The cost of WestJet travel insurance in Canada varies depending on the type of plan you purchase, the length of your trip, and your age.
Here are some examples of the cost of WestJet travel insurance in Canada:
- Deluxe package (up to age 74): For a 1-week trip to the United States, the cost of the Deluxe package is CA$139 per person.
- Non-medical package (all ages): For a 1-week trip to the Caribbean, the cost of the Non-medical package is CA$119 per person.
- Classic emergency medical plan (up to age 64): For a 1-week trip to Europe, the cost of the Classic emergency medical plan is CA$89 per person.
- Trip cancellation and interruption package (all ages): For a 1-week trip to Mexico, the cost of the Trip cancellation and interruption package is CA$69 per person.
Here is a table, summarizing the cost of WestJet travel insurance in Canada for a 1-week trip:
|WestJet travel plan||Trip destination||Buyer's age||Average cost|
|Deluxe package||United States||Up to 74 years old||CA$139|
|Non-medical package||Caribbean||All ages||CA$119|
|Classic emergency medical plan||Europe||Up to 64 years old||CA$89|
|Trip cancellation and interruption package||Mexico||All ages||CA$69|
Compare WestJet to other travel insurers on the market to get the best price/value on your insurance:
Prepare for your trip
Compare. Choose. Save.
How to file a claim with WestJet for travel insurance?
Making a travel insurance claim with Allianz Global Assistance is quite simple. The process is smooth and efficient, and you will be kept informed at every step of the way. You can submit claims for all products and benefits online, including trip cancellation, interruption, and delay, lost or delayed baggage, and out-of-pocket emergency medical expenses. To start a claim:
- Simply log in to your Allianz Global Assistance account and click on the "File a Claim" button.
- You will be guided through the process step-by-step, and you can upload all of the necessary documentation electronically.
- Once your claim is submitted, it will be reviewed by a team of experts who will assess the merits of your claim and make a decision as quickly as possible.
- If your claim is approved, you will be paid the benefit amount as soon as possible.
How to contact WestJet travel insurance?
You can try WestJet’s online self-serve tools and get a solution to your problem. Here are some other options:
- For new or existing bookings and general inquiries, you can use this toll-free number from Canada: 1-888-937-8538.
- The toll-free number for people in North America for support in Japanese is 1-844-213-5239.
- For WestJet vacation bookings, call on this toll-free number from Canada: 1-877-737-7001.
- People who are deaf or have partial hearing can use this toll-free number: 1-877-952-0100.
- People with disabilities experiencing difficulties accessing WestJet.com can use this toll-free number: 1-866-693-7853, or you can email at [email protected].