How to get the best travel Insurance for seniors in 2023?
Travel insurance for seniors in Canada is designed to provide coverage and protection for older travellers during their journeys. As older adults may have unique health needs and face specific travel risks, having adequate insurance is crucial to ensure a safe and worry-free experience.
Travel insurance for seniors safeguards against unexpected medical expenses, trip cancellations and interruptions, among other coverages specifically tailored for older travellers.
However, choosing the best policy isn't always easy and that's why we've created this guide on travel insurance for seniors. Find out everything from coverage for pre-existing conditions, pros, cons, and more.
5 Key Takeaways on Travel Insurance for Seniors in Canada
- Travel insurance for seniors is essential to provide coverage and protection during their journeys.
- It typically includes coverage for emergency medical expenses, trip cancellation/interruption and baggage cover.
- Some insurers offer coverage for pre-existing medical conditions.
- Insurance providers offering plans for older seniors include RBC, Blue Cross, Tugo, TD, Manulife, Allianz Global.
- Cost of travel insurance varies based on age, trip duration, coverage limits, and pre-existing conditions.
What is the best Canadian travel insurance for seniors?
Here is an overview of some of the best Canadians providers and their pros and cons when it comes to policies for older Canadians:
|RBC Travel Insurance||Comprehensive coverage for medical expenses, trip cancellation/interruption, baggage loss, emergency medical evacuation||Cost of Royal Bank travel insurance for seniors coverage can be relatively higher than other providers|
|CAA Travel Insurance||
Range of coverage options, including emergency medical expenses, trip cancellation, baggage loss|
Good customer service
|CAA travel insurance for seniors coverage might have more limitations than others|
|Blue Cross Travel Insurance||
Extensive coverage, particularly in emergency medical situations|
Options for pre-existing medical conditions
|Premiums for Blue cross travel insurance for seniors can be higher compared to other insurers|
|Tugo Travel Insurance||
Many plans, including single trips and annual coverage|
|Some Tugo travel insurance for seniors plans might have limited coverage for pre-existing medical conditions|
|AMA Travel Insurance||
Reliable coverage for medical emergencies, trip cancellations, baggage loss|
Possible discounts for members
|Coverage options of AMA travel insurance for seniors might not be as extensive as other providers|
|Costco Travel Insurance||Partners with reputable insurers to offer competitive rates||Available coverage of Costco travel insurance Canada for seniors might be lesser for older seniors over 75|
|TD Travel Insurance||
Various travel insurance plans with flexible options. |
Straightforward claims process
|Some TD travel insurance for seniors plans might not cover pre-existing medical conditions|
|CIBC Travel Insurance||
Online quote and purchase available
|No specific plans for seniors|
If you'd like to check out the best Canadian travel insurance for seniors, you could simply use our comparator below and get tailor-made quotes based on your unique needs and budget. You can compare coverage, pricing, and get free quotes in no time:
What does travel insurance for seniors cover?
The actual coverage will depend on your policy and your insurer. But here is what travel insurance for seniors in Canada usually covers:
- Emergency medical expenses: This covers the costs of medical treatment and hospitalization in case of sudden illness or injury while travelling abroad.
- Trip cancellation/interruption: It reimburses non-refundable trip expenses in case the trip is cancelled or cut short due to covered reasons, such as illness, injury, or unforeseen events.
- Baggage loss/delay: Essentially, this provides compensation for lost, stolen, or delayed baggage, helping seniors replace essential items during their trip.
- Emergency medical evacuation: This covers expenses related to transporting the insured back to home country for medical treatment if necessary.
Some insurers also offer coverage for pre-existing medical conditions, although it may come with certain restrictions or higher premiums.
How does out of province travel insurance for seniors work?
Provincial healthcare coverage doesn't always extend fully to other provinces. Out-of-province travel insurance is vital when older adults travel within Canada to cover unexpected medical expenses, emergency medical evacuations, prescription medications, and trip interruptions. It fills gaps in provincial coverage, offering access to comprehensive healthcare while exploring different provinces.
Travel medical insurance for seniors
Travel halthe insurance for seniors is usually covered under regular travel insurance plans. Medical insurance is a specific type of insurance designed to cover emergency medical expenses incurred while travelling abroad. As seniors may have pre-existing medical conditions and are more susceptible to health risks, having adequate medical coverage during trips is essential.
Medical travel insurance for seniors typically provides coverage for emergency medical treatment, hospitalisation, and medical evacuation if necessary. It is essential to review the coverage limits to ensure they meet the potential costs of medical treatment in the destination country.
Multi-trip travel insurance for seniors is a type of coverage designed to accommodate frequent travelers who embark on multiple trips within a specified period. Instead of purchasing individual policies for each trip, a multi-trip policy offers potential cost savings for seniors who travel frequently. Multi-trip insurance also provides flexibility for both spontaneous trips and planned getaways.
Are pre-existing medical conditions with senior travel insurance?
Travel insurance for Canadian seniors with pre-existing medical conditions can be a bit more challenging to obtain compared to other age groups for the same plans. Pre-existing medical conditions are health conditions that exist before the travel insurance is purchased or the trip is booked.
These conditions can range from chronic illnesses, such as diabetes or heart disease, to previous injuries or surgeries. Insurers consider pre-existing medical conditions as they affect the risk profile of the traveller, and providing coverage for such conditions adds complexity and potential costs to the insurance policy.
Here are some important points to consider when seeking coverage for older Canadians with pre-existing medical conditions:
- Insurers will typically require seniors with pre-existing medical conditions to undergo a medical screening or fill out a medical questionnaire.
- Coverage for pre-existing medical conditions may have certain limitations and exclusions. For example, some conditions may be covered up to a certain age or may not be covered at all.
- Insurers may require that the pre-existing medical condition has been stable for a specified period before the trip. The stability period varies between insurance providers, but it is typically around 90 to 180 days.
- Premiums may be higher for seniors with pre-existing conditions.
- Seniors with pre-existing medical conditions are encouraged to purchase policies as early as possible.
Good to know
Some insurers offer exclusion waivers that allow seniors to purchase additional coverage for pre-existing conditions by paying an extra premium. This can provide more comprehensive coverage for the specific health condition.
How to get the best travel insurance for seniors over 70 canada?
Be it travel insurance for the USA or Europe or elsewhere, securing coverage for individuals over 70 can present challenges due to various factors, including increased health risks and potential pre-existing conditions. While insurance options are available, they might come with certain restrictions or higher premiums to mitigate these concerns.
However, here are some tips to help you get cheap travel insurance for seniors over 70:
- Start Early: Begin your search well in advance of your trip to allow time for thorough research and comparison of policies tailored to seniors.
- Assess Your Needs: Consider your health, trip destination, duration, and activities to determine the coverage you require, whether it's medical coverage, trip cancellation, or other benefits.
- Compare Policies: Compare coverage, exclusions, benefits, and costs to find the policy that suits your needs to get the best travel medical insurance for seniors over 70. You could use HelloSafe's comparator to compare the best plans, coverage, and restrictions.
- Check Age Limits: Ensure the insurance providers you're considering offer coverage for seniors over 70, as some may have age restrictions.
- Read Policy Thoroughly: Carefully review policy documents, terms, and conditions to understand coverage, limitations, and claim procedures before making a decision. If unsure, consult with an insurance agent specializing in senior travel coverage.
This also applies for travel insurance for seniors over 75 or 80 years old.
How much is travel insurance for canadian seniors?
The premiums travel insurance for seniors can vary significantly depending on factors such as:
- Traveller's age and destination
- Trip duration
- Coverage limits
- Any pre-existing medical conditions.
Here are sample quotes for the best travel insurance for Canadian seniors from different insurers for a 70-year-old Canadian senior travelling on a 10-day trip to Europe with no pre-existing medical conditions:
|Insurance Provider||Travel insurance for Seniors Canada Coverage||Premium (CAD)|
|RBC Travel Insurance||Comprehensive Coverage||$320|
|CAA Travel Insurance||Emergency Medical, Trip Cancellation, Baggage||$280|
|Blue Cross Travel Insurance||Emergency Medical, Pre-existing Condition||$400|
|Tugo Travel Insurance||Single-Trip Comprehensive||$350|
|AMA Travel Insurance||Emergency Medical, Trip Cancellation, Baggage||$290|
|TD Travel Insurance||Emergency Medical||$260|
|Manulife Travel Insurance||Emergency Medical, Trip Cancellation, Baggage||$300|
|Allianz Global Assistance Insurance||Emergency Medical, Trip Cancellation, Baggage||$270|
|RSA Travel Insurance||Emergency Medical, Trip Cancellation, Baggage||$310|
Compare the best rates for senior travel insurance by using our free comparison tool below. In a few clicks, you'll get several personalized quotes for your travel plans and needs:
Compare the best travel insurance plans on the market!
What are the credit cards with travel insurance for seniors?
Several credit cards in Canada offer trip benefits. These credit cards are often designed to cater to the specific needs of older travellers and provide coverage for various travel-related incidents.
Here are some examples of credit cards with travel insurance for Canadian seniors:
|Credit Card||Travel Insurance Coverage for Seniors in Canada|
|Scotiabank PassportTM Visa Infinite Card|
|TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card|
|CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Card|
|BMO World Elite Mastercard|
|RBC Avion Visa Infinite Card|
|Desjardins Odyssey World Elite Mastercard|