Best Travel Insurance for Backpackers 2023
Backpacking brings thrilling adventures, offbeat experiences, and spontaneity. However, these thrills also bring unique challenges, making reliable travel insurance for backpackers essential.
From medical crises to lost items in remote areas, comprehensive coverage ensures worry-free journeys. But how do you pick a travel insurance that's best for your backpacking trip? We have your back!
We take you through the best travel insurance for backpackers, what they cover, pros, cons, premiums, and more. You can compare plans from multiple providers and get personalised travel insurance quotes using our free comparator.
Top 4 Travel Insurance for Backpackers
- World Nomads: Long-term travel insurance
- Allianz: Multiple plans to choose from
- SafetyWing: Specifically designed for backpackers
- Travel Guard: Budget-friendly options
Top best travel insurance for backpackers
Opting for the right travel insurance as a backpacker involves considering factors such as coverage for adventurous activities, medical emergencies, trip interruptions and more. Here are some renowned options that often appeal to backpackers due to their comprehensive coverage and flexibility.
World Nomads: Long-term travel insurance
World Nomads Travel Insurance plans provide coverage for a variety of risks associated with travel. Whether you're embarking on a lengthy journey or a brief excursion, all their policies offer protection for the following:
- Trip cancellation and interruption coverage
- Emergency medical treatment
- Ambulance transportation
- Emergency medical evacuation
- Repatriation of remains
- Delayed, lost or stolen baggage
- 24/7 worldwide emergency assistance
Their travel insurance for backpackers is crafted with input from fellow travellers and encompasses a broad spectrum of more than 150 activities, sports, volunteer opportunities and work experiences. These include activities like casual bar work, skiing, volunteering, hiking and many others.
Allianz Travel Insurance: Multiple plans to choose from
Allianz stands as a widely recognized insurance provider that presents comprehensive travel insurance solutions. Geared towards travellers, their insurance plans encompass an array of essential features, including:
- Emergency medical coverage
- Provisions for urgent medical transportation
- Compensation for lost or delayed baggage
- Safeguards against travel delays
- Protection against rental car damage or theft
- And more
The extent of coverage is contingent upon the specific plan you opt for, with certain benefits, such as rental car insurance, available as supplementary add-ons.
For the convenience of travellers:
- Allianz furnishes travel insurance on a per-trip basis via its OneTrip plans.
- Additionally, they offer year-long coverage options through their AllTrips plans.
SafetyWing: Specifically designed for backpackers
SafetyWing is a newer travel insurance company that is specifically designed for digital nomads and long-term travellers. It offers travel insurance in Canada, but there are some restrictions. You can only purchase SafetyWing insurance when you are physically outside of Canada before entering the country. If you are already in Canada, you will need to purchase insurance from another company.
Here is what backpackers travel insurance from SafetyWing offers:
|Coverage Type||Maximum Coverage||Deductible||Additional Limits/Notes|
|Travel Delay||Up to $200 (2 days)||No||Delay must be 12+ hrs, unforeseen stay|
|Lost Checked Luggage||$3,000||No||Per-item limit: $500, Lifetime limit: $6,000|
|Political Evacuation||$10,000||Exempt||Lifetime maximum|
|Emergency Medical Evacuation||$100,000||No||Lifetime maximum|
Travel Guard: Budget-friendly options
Travel Guard travel insurance options align perfectly with safeguarding your travel investment, especially for backpackers. Here’s a quick overview of its plans:
- Deluxe Plan: The Travel Guard Deluxe plan stands as the epitome of comprehensive coverage. Boasting an extensive range of protections, global travel assistance and round-the-clock emergency travel support, this plan is designed to offer you the utmost security.
- Preferred Plan: Simplify your travel experience with the Travel Guard Preferred Plan, a truly comprehensive travel insurance package. With fresh and enhanced coverage offerings, this plan serves as the ideal companion for your journeys.
- Essential Plan: Catering to cost-conscious travelers, the Travel Guard Essential plan delivers budget-friendly travel insurance. Tailored for business and domestic travel, it provides fundamental coverage levels to ensure your peace of mind.
We recommend that you compare plans from multiple providers to find a policy that suits your unique needs. While that may seem daunting, all you need to do is use our comparator below to compare the best travel insurance policies and get free personalised quotes in seconds.
What is travel insurance for backpackers?
Travel insurance for backpackers is a type of insurance that provides coverage for medical expenses, trip cancellations, lost luggage and other travel-related incidents.
It’s important for backpackers to have travel insurance because they are often travelling in remote areas and may not have access to the same level of medical care as they would at home. Backpacker travel insurance can also help you cover the cost of emergency medical evacuation, which can be very expensive.
The cost of travel insurance for Canadian backpackers will vary depending on the length of your trip, the level of coverage you choose and your age and health. However, it is generally a relatively affordable way to protect yourself from financial losses in the event of a travel-related incident.
What does travel insurance for backpackers cover?
The specific coverage that is included in travel insurance for Canadian backpackers will vary from policy to policy. However, some common coverages that backpackers travel insurance include:
- Medical expenses: This includes the cost of doctor's visits, hospital stays and prescription medication.
- Trip cancellations: This covers the cost of your trip if you have to cancel it due to illness, injury or other unforeseen circumstances.
- Lost luggage: It covers the cost of replacing lost or stolen luggage.
- Emergency medical evacuation: It offers coverage for the cost of transporting you to a medical facility in your home country if you become seriously ill or injured while travelling.
- Baggage delay: This covers the cost of essential items if your luggage is delayed or lost.
- Cancellation of connecting flights: It covers the cost of your flight if your connecting flight is cancelled.
- Passport replacement: This covers the cost of replacing your passport if it is lost or stolen. Some insurers don’t offer this.
What does travel insurance for backpackers not cover?
Just like coverage, exclusions will vary from policy to policy. In general, most insurers don’t cover the following in their basic plans:
- Pre-existing medical conditions: If you have a pre-existing medical condition, you may not be covered for any related expenses that occur while you are travelling. However, some policies may offer limited coverage for pre-existing conditions, so it is important to read the fine print carefully.
- War, terrorism and civil unrest: Travel insurance typically does not cover losses or expenses that are caused by war, terrorism or civil unrest.
- Routine dental care: Routine dental care, such as cleanings and checkups, is not usually covered by travel insurance.
- Losses due to intentional self-harm: If you intentionally harm yourself, your travel insurance will not cover any related expenses.
- Losses due to reckless or irresponsible behaviour: If you engage in reckless or irresponsible behaviour, your travel insurance may not cover any related expenses.
- Losses due to participating in dangerous activities: Some travel insurance policies exclude coverage for losses that are caused by participating in dangerous activities, such as skydiving, bungee jumping, or whitewater rafting.
Good to know
Some insurers offer several add-ons, including commonly excluded coverages. It means that you can get extra coverage options by paying more.
It is essential to compare the coverages, add-ons, and exclusions of travel insurance policies before buying one. You can simply use our comparator below to compare plans, coverage, and premiums, and get free quotes from Canada's best travel insurance companies.
Compare the best travel insurance plans on the market!
How to find cheap travel insurance for backpackers?
Here are some tips on how you can find cheap travel insurance for backpackers:
- Compare quotes from different companies using the HelloSafe comparator
- Consider your needs and pick coverage accordingly
- Look for discounts like bundling offers
- Choose a flexible policy
And finally, before you purchase a travel insurance policy, be sure to read the fine print carefully. This will help you understand what is and is not covered by the policy.