What is the best group travel insurance in 2023?
Travelling with a group can be an exciting and rewarding experience, but it's essential to ensure that you're adequately protected against potential risks. This is where group travel insurance comes into play.
Whether you're planning a corporate retreat, a school trip or a family reunion, understanding group travel insurance can help you make informed decisions to safeguard your journey.
In this guide, we take you through the best group travel insurance plans in Canada, how they work, what's covered, what's not, and more. You can also compare plans from multiple providers and get free personalised quotes using HelloSafe comparator.
Top 4 group travel insurance plans in Canada
- Manulife group benefits travel insurance: Ensuring comprehensive coverage
- Viator group travel insurance: Trusted coverage with RSA partnership
- The Mclennan group travel insurance: Diverse coverage plans
- RBC group travel insurance: Economical group discounts
Best group travel insurance in Canada
The best options for travel group insurance will vary depending on your specific needs and budget. When choosing a policy consider the level of coverage you need, the cost of the plan, the terms and conditions of the policy and the reputation of the insurer. So read on to find some of the best plans from Canada's popular providers.
Manulife group benefits travel insurance: Ensuring comprehensive coverage
Manulife Group Benefits offers the following types of travel insurance that can be taken for groups as well. They have a variety of plans to suit different needs, including:
- CoverMe travel insurance for groups: This plan is designed for groups of 10 or more people travelling together. It covers medical expenses, trip cancellation or interruption and baggage loss or damage.
- TravelEase travel insurance for groups: Designed for groups of 10 or more people traveling together who have a valid Canadian government health insurance plan. It covers medical expenses, trip cancellation or interruption, and baggage loss or damage.
- COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Plan: This plan is designed for Canadians travelling abroad who are concerned about the COVID-19 pandemic. It covers medical expenses related to COVID-19, as well as trip cancellations or interruptions due to COVID-19.
Viator group travel insurance: Trusted coverage with RSA partnership
Viator offers group travel insurance through its partner, RSA Travel Insurance. The plan is designed for groups of 10 or more people travelling together and covers medical expenses, trip cancellation or interruption and baggage loss or damage.
Here are some of its benefits:
- Comprehensive coverage: Viator's group travel insurance plan offers comprehensive coverage for a variety of expenses, including medical expenses, trip cancellation or interruption, and baggage loss or damage.
- Competitive prices: Viator's group travel insurance plan is competitively priced, making it a good value for money.
- Easy to purchase: You can purchase Viator's group travel insurance online or by contacting them directly.
- Excellent customer service: Viator has a reputation for excellent customer service, so you can be confident that you will be taken care of if you need to make a claim.
The Mclennan group travel insurance: Diverse coverage plans
The McLennan Group offers a variety of plans for groups, including:
- Single-trip emergency medical plans: These plans cover medical expenses up to CA$10 million for any trip of 4 days or more.
- Multi-trip emergency medical plans: The plans cover medical expenses up to CA$10 million for any trip of 4 days or more, with no limit on the number of trips.
- Trip cancellation or interruption plans: These plans cover the cost of lost or cancelled travel expenses if the trip is cancelled or interrupted due to a covered reason, such as illness, injury or a natural disaster.
- Baggage loss or damage plans: These plans cover the cost of replacing lost or damaged baggage.
- Personal liability plans: The plans cover the cost of legal expenses if you are sued for causing injury or damage to someone else while travelling.
RBC group travel insurance: Economical group discounts
Travelling with a group of 10 or more? Take advantage of RBC’s group discount while enjoying the comprehensive benefits. Whether you're organizing a wedding, reunion, tournament or corporate retreat, choosing RBC Travel Insurance enables you to get the best deal on necessary coverage.
Here are its benefits:
- Economies for all: Each traveller within your group (10+ individuals) is eligible for a discounted rate on travel insurance when you secure coverage for the same trip.
- Effortless planning: Just provide RBC with a few particulars and they will reach out to you to confer about the most suitable coverage for all members.
- Customized protection: Every group member can opt for diverse coverage alternatives to guarantee the finest travel and emergency medical coverage for their needs.
- Support in emergencies: RBC’s dedicated personnel are at your service 24/7 in case of emergencies, ensuring that any member of your group in need of assistance during the journey is well taken care of.
It is essential to compare coverages from many insurance plans to pick a policy that suits your unique needs. Our comparator below lets you compare coverage and get free quotes from Canada's best travel insurance companies.
What is group travel insurance?
Group travel insurance covers a group of individuals travelling together. It’s typically purchased by businesses, schools or other organizations for their employees or students. These plans can provide coverage for a variety of expenses, including medical expenses and trip cancellations.
Group travel insurance can be a valuable way to protect yourself and your group from financial losses while travelling. It is especially important for groups travelling to countries with limited medical facilities or high medical costs.
Here are the main benefits:
- Group travel insurance is typically less expensive than individual travel insurance.
- One person can purchase the policy for the entire group, which can save time and hassle.
- It typically covers a range of potential risks, including medical emergencies, trip cancellations, baggage loss, and more.
If you are planning a trip with a bunch of people, consider purchasing group travel insurance — a small investment can protect you from financial losses and give you peace of mind.
What is group medical travel insurance?
Group health travel insurance covers a group of people travelling together. It typically covers medical expenses, trip cancellation or interruption, and baggage loss or damage.
What does group travel insurance cover?
The specific coverages in a group travel insurance policy will vary depending on the policy and the insurer. Read the policy carefully to understand the coverage. Most plans cover the following:
- Medical expenses: This includes the cost of medical treatment, hospitalization and medical evacuation.
- Trip cancellation or interruption: It covers the cost of lost or cancelled travel expenses if the trip is cancelled or interrupted due to a covered reason, such as illness, injury or a natural disaster.
- Baggage loss or damage: This covers the cost of replacing lost or damaged baggage.
- Personal liability: It offers you coverage for the cost of legal expenses if you are sued for causing injury or damage to someone else while travelling.
- Other coverages: Some policies also include coverage for things like trip delays, missed connections, and lost passports.
What does group travel insurance not cover?
Some common exclusions include:
- Pre-existing medical conditions: Most travel insurance policies will not cover medical expenses related to a pre-existing medical condition that existed before the policy was purchased.
- War or civil unrest: If you travel to a country that is experiencing war or civil unrest, your travel insurance may not cover you if you get an injury or your belongings are stolen.
- Participation in dangerous activities: Some travel insurance policies will not cover injuries or expenses related to participation in dangerous activities, such as skydiving, bungee jumping or whitewater rafting.
- Intentional acts: If you intentionally injure yourself or damage your property, your travel insurance will not cover the costs.
- Late cancellation or changes: If you cancel your trip late or make changes to your itinerary, your travel insurance may not cover the costs.
- Loss of passport: Some travel insurance policies will cover the cost of replacing a lost passport, but others will not.
Read the terms and conditions of your policy carefully to understand the coverage and its limitations. You should also disclose any pre-existing medical conditions to your insurer before you purchase the policy.
How much does group travel insurance cost?
The cost of group travel insurance will vary depending on the company, the level of coverage you need and the number of people in your group. Here’s how these factors can influence the cost:
- Younger travellers typically pay lower premiums than older travellers.
- Travel to certain destinations, such as the United States or Europe, may be more expensive than travel to other destinations.
- Longer trips are typically more expensive to insure than shorter trips.
- The more coverage you need, the more expensive the policy will be.
Here’s a general idea of the costs of group travel insurance from Manulife, Viator, The McLennan Group and RBC:
|Company||Starting price for a group of 10 people|
|The McLennan Group||$200|
We recommend that you compare prices from various providers before zeroing in on a policy. You can just use our free comparator below and get free quotes from the best travel insurance companies in Canada.
Prepare for your trip
Compare. Choose. Save.
How to get cheap group travel insurance?
Here are some tips for saving the most while looking for a policy:
- Shop around and compare group travel insurance quotes using the HelloSafe comparator
- Consider the level of coverage you need
- Buy in advance
- Look for discounts
- Consider a no-claim bonus
- Buy a multi-trip policy