Is Trupanion The Best Pet Insurance in Canada? Review 2023
Good to know
When you click on a sponsored link or make a purchase, HelloSafe may earn a commission at no cost to you. Commissions do not affect our editors' reviews.
Whether you have an ageing dog or a naughty cat that's prone to accidents, it's important to have the best pet insurance to afford quality care for them and protect yourself from unexpected veterinary expenses.
In this review, we are going to take a deep dive into the Trupanion pet insurance policy. We'll look at how far the coverage goes, how much it costs, and how it compares with other options.
As health costs continue to rise, it's important to find the right insurance plan to suit your needs. So read on to find out if Trupanion pet insurance is the best option for you.
Trupanion pet insurance: 5 key takeaways
- Trupanion is a comprehensive pet insurance provider in Canada, specialising in coverage for cats and dogs
- Their policy offers easy online sign-up, direct billing, and the flexibility to choose your veterinary provider
- Trupanion provides unlimited claims with no annual claim limits or payment caps over your pet's lifetime
- While the basic package covers veterinary treatment, certain add-ons are available for behavioural and alternative therapies
- Exotic pet owners and those with complicated pre-existing conditions may need to consider alternative providers
- Trupanion caters best to young, healthy puppies or kittens
Our review of Trupanion pet insurance
Trupanion Canada is a comprehensive pet insurance policy. Along with Fetch Pet Insurance, it is one of Canada's leading pet insurers. Their insurance does not contain any tricks or hidden surprises and they are clear about where coverage starts and ends.
However, there are a couple of disadvantages that mean this might not be the correct insurance provider for all owners. Here are the pros and cons that we have identified:
- Easy online sign-up
- Allows you to choose your veterinary provider
- Direct billing
- Targeted add-ons for working animals
- Unlimited claims
- Behavioural and alternative therapies are not included in the basic package
- Focus on cats and dogs to the exclusion of other pets
Trupanion's pet insurance is a solid all-rounder. The terms of their policy are clearly written with cats and dogs in mind so owners of more exotic pets should consider alternative pet insurance providers.
However, this policy would not be the best fit for cats or dogs with complicated pre-existing conditions.
Similarly, a dog with a higher risk outdoor life, regularly involved in hunting or sledding might benefit from a different policy. If you have a young, healthy puppy or kitten, Trupanion pet insurance would be a great choice:
What does Trupanion pet insurance cover?
Trupanion offers a basic package to which you can add additional riders. The basic version of the policy will cover the cost of veterinary treatment and has no annual payment claim limits. There is also no limit to claim payments over the whole course of your pet's life.
Trupanion covers the following:
- Vitamins and nutraceuticals if prescribed by a vet
- pet for that is recommended by the vet to treat sickness or injury, up to 50%
- dental treatment for trauma or disease
If you make an eligible claim you will still have to pay the following:
- Deductibles (optionable)
- Veterinary examinations
What are Trupanion's optional riders?
On top of the basic package, you can choose to add on Rider A or Rider B or both to have a more comprehensive policy protecting your pet, or to cater to specific requirements.
What does Rider A cover?
- Arthritis treatment
- Behavioural training
- Chiropractic therapy
- Colloidal silver treatment
- Herbal therapy
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- Lyme disease treatments
- Photothermal cancer therapy
- Physical therapy
- Shock-wave therapy
- Stem cell therapy
- Transplants: bone marrow, kidney
What does Rider B cover?
- Boarding costs
- Rewards for lost pets
- Third-party damages
- Vacation cancellation costs
What does Trupanion not cover?
Trupanion has specific exclusions listed in its policy. It is important to always read a policy's exclusions carefully to avoid any nasty surprises down the line! Let's take a look at what those terms specifically exclude:
- Anal gland expression
- Cosmetic surgery or other procedures
- Dog fighting
- Radiation damage caused by nuclear material
- Raw food diets
- Sled racing
- Transport and boarding costs
- Travel outside of Canada, the US and Puerto Rico
- War, invasion and revolution
You can compare Trupanion's coverage to other leading pet insurance providers in Canada using our free tool below:
Compare the best pet insurance plans on the market!
How much does Trupanion pet insurance cost?
The amount of money you'll be spending on the policy in a month is based on a set of factors like:
- Gender of the pet
- Age of the pet at the time of enrolment
- Veterinary care specific to your region
- Your choice of deductible
- Additional coverage
The average price range for Trupanion pet insurance is $45 to $51 per month. However, it changes as per the above mentioned factors.
With unlimited coverage and a reimbursement rate of 90%, there are no per incident, annual, or lifetime payout limits.
How to contact Trupanion Canada?
The easiest way to get in touch and purchase pet insurance from Trupanion is online, via their website. Here you can answer some questions about your pet and get a quick estimate. If you have more complex questions, you can also get in touch with an advisor who can give you support specific to your situation.
Here are some quick contact informations for Trupanion Canada:
- Website: trupanion.com
- Phone: 888-733-2685 ; 855-363-2399 ; 855-210-8749 (24* Support)
It's recommended that you reach out to Trupanion Canada directly for the most accurate, detailed, and up-to-date information regarding their services and policies. You can also get quotes in minutes from our partner Trupanion:
If my pet gets sick will my premiums rise?
No, your premiums will not be affected by your pet aging or by claims made on their behalf. However, premium rates may go up in line with rising veterinary costs.
Good to know
Adjustments will be made no more than once a year and will never go up by more than 20%. Policyholders will be notified by letter at least one month before changes in rates.
Does Trupanion insurance include working animals?
Trupanion covers some working animals, though it must be specified at the time of purchasing the policies and an additional premium may be added to monthly charges. The following types of working animals are covered:
- Breeding dogs and cats
- Guard dogs
- Herding and hunting dogs
- Police dogs
- Search and rescue animals
- Service dogs
- Sled dogs
- Therapy dogs and cats
So if you think Trupanion Pet insurance is the best option for you, it's time to go get your quotes in just a click: