One of the most sought-after biotech stocks today is Moderna, which was made famous for its Covid-19 vaccine.
How much can you make with Moderna stock?
Get up-to-date and precise information on Moderna stock with its current price, dividend yield, analysis and our opinion.
This page is for information purposes only and does not constitute investment advice. Remember that investing can be risky.
Want to buy shares in Moderna: Our key take-aways
Stock exchange: NASDAQ
- Stock index: NASDAQ 100
- Dividend 2021: $0
- Dividend forecast 2022: $0
- 1 year performance: +9.80%
Should I buy Moderna stock?
Moderna is an attractive growth stock if you want to invest in the biotech sector.
With a performance of more than 500% in only 3 years, this stock has already allowed investors who bet on this biotech to make substantial gains during the race for the Covid vaccine.
Although the group does not currently pay a dividend, its share price can still be positive and allow for capital gains in the medium to long-term.
Learn all about stocks and get investing advice online from The Motley Fool.
Investment recommendations and the best stock picks from The Motley Fool Stock Advisor
How can I buy shares in Moderna ?
To buy Moderna on the stock market:
- Find an online broker offering stock investments.
- Open your trading account by filling out a simple form.
- Deposit funds into your account.
- Search for the stock
- Place a buy order to add Moderna to your stock portfolio.
How much are Moderna shares?
See price chart below to follow Moderna stock price in real time.
Ready to invest in Moderna? Shop for through Qtrade.
Why Moderna shares could go up:
The elements available to us today concerning Moderna's economic and financial situation provide us with certain signals in favour of an increase in the price of this stock, the main ones being
- Numerous strategic alliances: thanks to its research and marketing partnerships with major pharmaceutical companies, Moderna is rapidly increasing its sales and innovations.
- Strategic assets: the group already has several patents and intellectual properties that allow it to benefit from strategic assets for its future profitability.
- A forerunner in the fight against Covid: Moderna was one of the very first biotechs worldwide to develop an effective vaccine against Covid-19, and has experienced strong market interest.
- New treatments in the pipeline: Using its messenger RNA technology, Moderna is working on new classes of drugs that could generate more revenue in the coming years.
- Local production capabilities: Finally, the group is increasingly investing in local production facilities to reduce its drug transportation costs and to be able to supply new markets more easily.
Why Moderna shares could go down:
Of course, the signals in favour of a rise in Moderna's stock price are not the only ones you should consider before buying it. Here are the things that point to a potential decline in this stock:
- Significant losses: due to Moderna's heavy investment in its research over the past few years, the group has not made a profit and has mostly made losses.
- No dividend: as is the case for most companies in the biotech sector, Moderna does not pay dividends to shareholders, which may make this stock less attractive to buy.
- Lack of sales experience: Moderna does not have sufficient experience in selling and distributing its products and still has to work through partner laboratories to market a large part of its treatments.
- Regulatory changes: the various global regulatory changes concerning pharmaceutical products may hinder the development of Moderna's activities and penalize its profitability.
- Criticism of vaccine efficacy: Finally, Moderna has recently been subject to widespread criticism regarding the actual efficacy of its Covid-19 vaccine compared to its competitors, which has led to a decline in sales.
Can I buy Moderna stock online?
Yes! You can buy Moderna shares online. For many buys this is the best way to do it. Here's why:
- The commissions are lower
- You can choose your own investments
- You benefit from analysis and decision support tools
- You can invest in stocks directly or through derivatives like ETFs.
How can I sell my Moderna shares?
To sell Moderna shares, the following methods are available to you:
- Sell Moderna shares that you already own in your stock portfolio by placing an order from your brokerage platform.
- Use a margin account to short these shares.
- Use options or CFDs, which are derivative products that allow you to speculate on the downside.
What investment vehicles in Canada can hold Moderna stock?
Moderna shares can be placed in several different savings vehicles including"
- RRSPs: these registered retirement savings plans offer funds that are accessible at the time of retirement and offer an income tax deferral.
- TFSAs: tax-free savings accounts is an incredibly popular short-and long-term tax-free investment vehicle.
- Margin accounts: This account offers leverage and allows you to borrow against the value of the securities you hold to make other investments. It allows you to sell short.
- Cash accounts: This account allows you to trade stocks on North American markets only.
Buying Moderna shares can be done very easily online with a cash purchase of the number of shares you want from a platform offered by an online broker.
You can also invest in a mutual fund or ETF that includes Moderna shares in addition to a basket of other securities. This method will allow you to benefit from greater diversification.
Moderna share price history over 10 years:
Moderna dividends and payment dates
In 2021, the Moderna Group did not pay a dividend to its shareholders.
In fact, Moderna has never paid a dividend since its recent IPO, and there are several reasons for this.
First, as a biotech company, it favours investing its limited profits in research and development rather than paying out a portion of those profits to shareholders. This will allow it to grow.
On the other hand, the group does not currently generate enough income to compensate its shareholders and has even recorded significant losses over the last few years.
The group has not communicated about a dividend payment in 2022 or 2023, but it is possible that this stock will generate a return in the longer term. For the time being, Moderna is a growth stock.
What is the dividend yield for Moderna over the last 10 years?
The yield on Moderna shares is obtained by dividing the annual dividend by the annual average price.
A stock's yield provides key information about a company's dividend policy and its evolution over time and performance.
Annual gross shareholder return = Total dividend for the year ÷ average share price for the same year
The 10-year average return = Sum of annual returns ÷ 10
What analysts are saying about Moderna stock:
A critical analysis of Moderna stock:
Fundamental analysis of Moderna's stock currently sends out positive signals in the context of a medium- to long-term strategy with the following indicators:
- High margins: Moderna's margins before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization appear to be particularly high and the business appears to be very profitable.
- A good financial situation: the group is starting to generate profits and now has significant financial strength and cash flows that allow it to make investments.
- Attractive earnings multiples: the group's P/E is 5.44 for 2022 and 14.3 for 2023, making it one of the cheapest companies in its sector. The company is indeed poorly valued in relation to its cash flows.
- Increased estimates: Analysts' estimates and expectations for the group's revenue and sales have been revised upwards several times in recent months.
- Increased EPS and price target: similarly, analysts covering the stock have repeatedly revised their forecasts for Moderna's average earnings per share and price target.
- Scattered estimates: Analysts' estimates of Moderna's business development are scattered, reflecting low visibility on the company's business.
- Growth with little volatility: Finally, while Moderna's growth seems to be well expected by experts, it should be relatively slow and currently lacks volatility.
A technical analysis of Moderna stock:
The technical analysis of Moderna's share price is more mixed with many neutral or sell signals. Here are the different long-term indicators:
- The RSI indicator is currently at the 45.73 level, which does not give any particular signal.
- The short and medium-term stochastics are currently sending a sell signal while the long-term stochastic is sending an oversold signal.
- The MACD is currently near 39.77 and is the only oscillator sending a buy signal.
- The MA5, MA10 and MA20 simple and exponential moving averages are all sending a sell signal while the MA50, MA100 and MA200 are sending a buy signal.
- The next technical supports for this stock are located at 132.55 and 111.49 and the next resistances are at 176.12 and 198.63
Who is Moderna?
Moderna Group Inc. is an American biotechnology company. It specializes primarily in the research and development of therapeutic products for the treatment of cancer, infectious diseases, autoimmune diseases and cardiovascular diseases.
The group's revenue can be broken down into different sources including:
- revenue from product sales, which represent 95.7% of sales.
- revenue from grants, which represent 4% of sales.
- revenue from collaboration agreements, which represent 0.3% of sales.
The Moderna group currently has a portfolio of 15 products in clinical development. Three of these products are in phase III, 8 are in phase I and 12 are in preclinical development. The group currently employs 2,700 people.
The geographical breakdown of sales is as follows:
- The United States: 33.4% of sales
- Europe: 37.1% of sales
- The rest of the world: 29.5% of sales
Who are Moderna’s competitors?
Moderna operates in a fast-growing industry with a large number of players. Here is a quick overview of Moderna's main current competitors:
- Pfizer: This American pharmaceutical company operates in more than 150 countries and employs more than 81,800 people worldwide. The company's growth is due in part to its many strategic mergers and acquisitions.
- AstraZeneca: This pharmaceutical company was created by the merger of Astra and Zeneca and is therefore a Swedish-British company.
- Janssen: this company is a Belgian pharmaceutical company and a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson which is based in the province of Antwerp and specializes in vaccines.
- Valneva: this French biotechnology company specializes in vaccines against diseases with significant unmet medical needs. It markets two vaccines for travelers and is developing a vaccine against covid-19.
- Novavax: This U.S. pharmaceutical company has developed another vaccine against Covid-19 that has won it a major order from the U.S. government.
- Sanofi: This French company has several activities including pharmaceuticals with treatments for diabetes, rare diseases, multiple sclerosis and oncology and other consumer health products and vaccines.
- BioNTech: Finally, the German biotechnology company BioNTech is a company specializing in the development and production of immunotherapies for the treatment of serious diseases.
Who are Moderna’s partners?
The Moderna Group owes much of its success to the creation of strategic partnerships with other companies, as in the following examples:
- DNA Script: the two companies have partnered to develop a mobile laboratory for the rapid manufacture of vaccines and messenger RNA-based therapeutics.
- Catalent: The biotech has also strengthened an existing partnership with Catalent to provide a new high-speed filling line through 2023 for the Covid-19 vaccine and other Moderna products.
- Sanofi: French laboratory Sanofi has also committed to Moderna in the United States to produce 200 million doses of its Covid vaccine.
- Roche: Moderna has also partnered with Swiss pharmaceutical company Roche in the fight against Covid-19, providing diagnostic tests to measure the effectiveness of its vaccines in clinical trials.
- Gavi: Finally, the group has also partnered with Gavi to accelerate the delivery of 20 million doses by the end of 2021 for COVAX participants.