Sun Life Critical Illness Insurance Review 2024
Facing a heart attack, stroke, or cancer diagnosis can not only impact your health but also pose a significant financial burden. That's when critical illness insurance from a provider like Sun Life proves invaluable.
The Sun Life critical illness insurance provides a substantial lump sum, helping you and your family meet immediate medical and lifestyle expenses comfortably. Sun Life's critical illness insurance stands out with a range of coverage options, covering up to 26 critical illnesses. But is it right for you?
On this page, we cover everything you need to know about Sun Life critical illness insurance, from coverage to pros and cons, and more. You can use our free comparator to get instant quotes from Sun Life and other providers in Canada, compare them, and see if Sun Life is right for you.
Sun Life Critical Illness Insurance: Key Takeaways
- Reputable Provider: Sun Life is a top insurer in Canada
- Comprehensive Coverage: Offers up to 26 critical illnesses covered
- Flexible Options: Coverage ranges from $25,000 to $3 million
- Child Protection: Children's coverage is available up to $1 million
- Online Accessibility: Express plan allows for online application
Our 2024 review of Sun Life critical illness insurance
Sun Life's critical illness insurance is a robust option in Canada, catering to diverse needs. With plans like Express offering a quick online application and Comprehensive covering up to 26 illnesses, it provides flexibility.
The comprehensive plan offers coverage until $3 million, and the Express offers quick access coverage of up to $50,000, with both offering options to customize them based on your unique needs and budget.
Other positive factors include a solid reputation, high coverage amounts, and additional benefits. It's ideal for those seeking comprehensive protection from major health crises. However, individuals preferring minimal advisor interaction might find the process cumbersome.
Overall, Sun Life caters to a wide range of clients, but those desiring a straightforward, no-frills experience might explore simpler alternatives. If you think Sun Life is best for you, click the button below and get free personalized quotes right here.
Pros of Sun Life critical illness insurance
- Reputation - one of Canada's top insurance companies
- Sun Life's critical illness list covers up to 26 critical illnesses
- Coverage up to $3 million
- Children's coverage available (up to $1 million)
- Online application available for Express Critical Illness plan
- No medical exam for the Express Critical Illness plan
- Flexible terms
- Many optional add-on benefits are available.
Cons of Sun Life Critical Illness Insurance
- Requirement to speak to an advisor to purchase a more comprehensive plan
- Fewer illnesses covered in the basic plan
You can compare how Sun Life fares against other providers right here. Use our free comparator below to compare critical illness plans from the best companies in Canada and get free personalized quotes in no time.
Find a critical illness insurance policy that's right for you
Who offers Sun Life Critical Illness Insurance?
Sun Life critical illness insurance is offered by Sun Life, one of Canada’s largest and best-trusted insurers. It is primarily known for its life insurance products and also branches out into wealth management services. This includes health, travel, mortgage protection insurance, and more available to individuals and groups.
The company has offered insurance solutions to Canadians for more than 150 years. Today it boasts more than 2700 advisors around the country and more beyond it.
Why you must get Sun Life critical illness insurance?
If you're wondering if a critical illness insurance policy is worth it, then read on. Critical illness insurance from Sun Life or another provider gives you a powerful financial safety net should you contract a critical illness or condition. A serious diagnosis is likely to affect your ability to work while engendering serious expenses. These include:
- Medical costs and specialists are not covered under a different policy
- Transportation to see specialists
- Chair lifts or ramps at home
- Therapy and counseling
- Retrofitting vehicles for accessibility
Besides these additional costs, you still need a plan for continuing to pay your rent or mortgage, child care, groceries, and other day-to-day living expenses. The flexibility of the large lump-sum benefit from critical illness insurance means that you'll have the ability to cover these bills as you see fit. You can take care of yourself and your family while focusing on recovery.
How much does Sun Life critical illness insurance cost?
Unfortunately, it is difficult to provide an accurate price range for Sun Life critical illness Insurance as it depends strongly on individual situations. Pricing varies widely based on the following factors:
- Pre-existing conditions
- General Health
- Smoking status
- The amount of coverage desired
For general information, the table below summarizes the average price of critical illness insurance for various ages with a $25,000 benefit for the average provider. This is meant solely to provide a rough indication. Speak with an advisor for an exact Sun Life critical illness insurance quote.
|Price per month
|51 to 55
|56 to 60
|61 to 65
Good to know
Need help deciding how much coverage to buy from Sun Life? Our critical illness insurance calculator can help you make an informed decision.
You must get individual quotes from multiple providers to find the best deal on critical illness insurance. While it may seem like a daunting process, you can do it right here using our free comparator. Click on the button below and compare the best critical illness insurance plans in Canada and get free quotes based on your unique needs.
Find a critical illness insurance policy that's right for you
What critical illness insurance plans does Sun Life offer?
Sun Life critical illness coverage is available under two plans: Express and Comprehensive:
- Express critical illness: This plan offers coverage for up to 7 illnesses with benefits of up to $50,000. It is divided into the tiers: Basic, Enhanced, and Comfort Plus. Basic is cancer-only coverage with each tier adding coverage. Adults under 65 years old are eligible.
- Comprehensive critical illness: This plan offers coverage for up to 26 illnesses, plus 8 qualifying for partial payouts. An additional 5 childhood illnesses are available for those under age 24. Terms are flexible and coverage is worth as much as $3 million ($1 million for children). The numerous add-ons include the return of premiums, owner waivers, long-term care conversion, and more.
Adult plans are available in amounts of $25,000 to $3,000,000. Child plans are available in amounts of $25,000 to $1,000,000.
For more on Sun Life's critical illness insurance offer see the pdf below.
What illnesses and conditions qualify for Sun Life critical illness insurance?
The following illnesses and conditions may qualify a Sun Life policyholder for critical illness benefits.
- Acquired brain injury due to external trauma
- Aortic surgery
- Aplastic anemia
- Bacterial meningitis
- Benign brain tumor
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Dementia, including Alzheimer's disease
- Heart attack
- Heart valve replacement or repair
- Kidney failure
- Loss of independent existence
- Loss of limbs
- Loss of speech
- Major organ failure on waiting list
- Major organ transplant
- Motor neuron disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Occupational HIV infection
- Parkinson's disease and specified atypical Parkinsonian disorders
- Severe burns
*There are 8 additional partial payout illnesses covered:
- Cancer – chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) Rai stage 0
- Cancer – ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast
- Cancer – gastrointestinal stromal tumors classified as AJCC Stage 1
- Cancer – grade 1 neuroendocrine tumors (carcinoid)
- Cancer – papillary or follicular thyroid cancer stage T1
- Cancer – stage 1A malignant melanoma
- Cancer – stage A (T1a or T1b) prostate cancer
- Coronary angioplasty
5 additional childhood illnesses are covered:
- Cerebral palsy
- Congenital heart disease
- Cystic fibrosis
- Muscular dystrophy
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus
Be aware that plans may cover fewer conditions than those listed.
Good to know
Different insurers have different criteria for determining the severity of an illness or condition and whether it qualifies. If you have questions, it's best to refer to the policy documents and speak with your insurance broker or Sun Life advisor.
How do I apply for Sun Life insurance?
Express critical illness insurance quotes are available online. For Comprehensive critical illness plans, you will need to contact a Sun Life advisor. You may pick one on the website and fill out a form to arrange a phone call or Zoom meeting.
Before settling on an offer with Sun Life it's smart to compare critical illness insurance quotes from other providers. You can click on the free comparator below to compare plans, get free quotes, and be put in contact with an expert to discuss your best options.
Shop critical illness policies now
Good to know
If you're a medical professional in Ontario, you can also look at OMA critical illness insurance. OMA insurance is exclusively available to active members of OMA or the Atlantic Medical Association. Tailored to meet the specific requirements of Ontario medical professionals, the insurance solutions, including OMA critical illness insurance, are carefully curated for their distinct needs.
How do I contact Sun Life?
Sun Life offers priority customer service to those who contact them through the My Sun Life mobile application. Alternatively, you may contact Sun Life by logging into its website.
*For assistance with a plan bought through an advisor:
Call Sun Life at 1-877-786-5433 Monday to Friday from 8 am to 9 pm Eastern Standard Time or email them at [email protected]