[Survey] Only 25% of Canadians plan to go on holiday this summer
With the 2023 summer season fast approaching, how are Canadians planning their summer vacations? To find out, we conducted a survey on our site in June 2023, in which 984 respondents participated.
- This summer, only 25.4% of Canadians plan to go on vacation.
- 68.9% of Canadians plan to spend their vacations in Canada, while only 31.1% plan to travel abroad.
- 33.8% of respondents say they have a budget of over $1,500 per person for their summer vacation.
- 30% of Canadians will not be travelling this summer because of inflation.
COVID had temporarily discouraged many Canadians from traveling. However, the pandemic situation now seems far behind us. We recently asked Canadians about their vacation plans, and the responses indicate that :
- Only 25.4% of Canadians plan to go on vacation this summer.
- On the other hand, 74.6% of Canadians plan not to go on vacation.
This summer, Canadians are travelling around the country for the holidays
Although 25% of Canadians say they plan to go on vacation this summer, there's a strong tendency to choose relatively short-distance destinations. 68.9% of Canadians intend to spend their vacations in Canada, while 31.1% plan to travel abroad.
- Among the Canadians who will be going on vacation this summer, 41.2% intend to enjoy their vacations in Ontario itself.
- 17.6% plan to go to another Canadian province.
- Only 14.7% of our respondents will be going to Europe, 11.8% to South America, and 8.8% to The United States.))
Alexandre Desoutter, spokesperson for HelloSafe in Canada:
"It seems that a significant shift has occurred among Canadians this summer. The prevailing sentiment reveals a notable decline in vacation plans among Canadian citizens. Factors such as ongoing economic uncertainties, lingering concerns over public health, and the desire to prioritize safety and well-being have culminated in fewer individuals opting for vacations. This shift reflects a cautious approach by Canadians who are prioritizing their immediate surroundings and seeking alternative ways to unwind and rejuvenate closer to home".
Canadians are making plans for vacations of short or medium duration
When we look at the average number of weeks Canadians plan to spend on their summer holidays, we see that :
- The shortest vacation periods are the most popular with Canadians: 29.8% of our respondents plan to travel for 1 week, while 5.4% will spend 3 weeks on vacation.
- In parallel, 23% still plan summer vacations of less than a week.
- Finally, only 12.2% of respondents will opt for a vacation lasting longer than 3 weeks.
34% of Canadians plan a vacation budget of more than $1,500 per person
We also surveyed Canadians about their average per capita budgets for this summer vacation, including transportation, accommodations and all other expenses. Among the responses received, we found that :
- This summer, 33.8% of Canadians plan to spend more than $1,500 per person on their vacation.
- Only 10.8% expect to spend between $1,000 and $1,500 on their summer vacation.
- Finally, 25.7% of Canadians are planning a vacation budget of less than $500.
Because of inflation, 30% of Canadians will not be travelling this summer
Some of our respondents said they had no intention of travelling this summer. So we wanted to find out more about why many Canadians won't be going away this summer. We obtained the following answers:
- For 29.9% of Canadians, inflation is an obstacle to going on holiday this summer.
- This year, 28.5% of Canadians will prefer to enjoy their summer holidays at home rather than travelling.
- 30.7% of them plan to travel at another time of year.
- And still 5.2% of Ontarians will not be going on holiday because of the pandemic.
In addition to its expert editorial line around insurance and financial products, HelloSafe explores broader topics relating to global consumption in Canada and around the world. The aim is to decipher certain complex subjects for consumers and to provide everyone with the latest information. It is within this framework that HelloSafe regularly carries out studies on trends relating to current personal finance in Canada.
This study in based on a survey conducted on HelloSafe's website during the month of June 2023 and to which 984 people answered from all across Canada, representative of the demographic and geographic diversity of the country.
About HelloSafe Canada
HelloSafe is a leading platform for comparing financial products (insurance, credit, investments) in Canada. Powered by its unique and powerful technology, HelloSafe provides users with dozens of free and anonymous comparison tools, calculators and expert, up-to-date content. Its platform empowers users to make the best decisions for their wallets and find the right products at the right prices for them.
How can we help you?
Contact HelloSafe’s Team
Do you have a question? A suggestion on what we can do better? We would love to hear from you.
Press relations and communication officer
Find us on social media