[Survey] In 2022, stocks remain the Canadians' preferred investment product
As a website committed to its users wallet, HelloSafe wanted to know more about investment habits in Canada. A total of 837 people responded to our survey between September and November 2022, from which it appears that the stock market and real estate are the two preferred investment solutions among Canadians in 2022.
- 54.6% of Canadians consider stocks as one of their preferred investment options, in front of real estate (34.7%) and life insurance (11.6%)
- Only 9.2% of the respondents to our survey have put cryptocurrencies among their 3 preferred investment options
- 65.3% of Canadians indicated that they manage their investment on their own - only 29.2% use the services of a broker or a bank
Stocks among the preferred investment options for 54.6% of Canadians
In order to find out which investment solutions are preferred by Canadians in 2022, we asked them the question: "Which investment solutions do you prefer?", giving them the opportunity to choose 3 options among 7 main investment products. It appears that:
- The stock market remains Canadians' preferred investment, favored by 54.6% of respondents.
- Real estate comes behind, chosen by 34.7% of respondents among their preferred investment solutions.
- Further, life insurance (11.6%) and crypto-currencies (9.2%) remain marginal investment options for Canadians.
Almost 2 out of 3 Canadians say they invest by themselves
Our survey shows a strong trend in the way of investing in Canadians: 65.3% of our respondents indicated they make their investments on their own. For those who seek external help to invest their money, they invest either:
- Through a broker (18.1%).
- Through their bank (for 11.1% of respondents).
- On the advice of a friend or relative (5.6%).
Zoom 1: The stock market is an investment preferred by all age groups in Canada
When we look at investment preferences by age group, real differences appear between Canadians depending on each option. With regard to the stock market, we see with the graph below that it is an investment solution that is popular among all age groups of our respondents, despite a fairly low score in for 36-45 year olds:
Zoom 2: Cryptocurrencies are preferred among younger investors
Even if cryptocurrencies appear to be among the preferred investment solutions for only 9.26% of Canadians, we observe important differences between age groups. As the graph below shows, it it not a surprise to see that:
- Respondents between 16 and 35 are those who show more enthusiasm for cryptocurrencies - with 30% of them including the cryptos among their preferred investment options
- On the other hand, less than 1% of our 56-year-old or older respondents have put cryptocurrencies within their 3 preferred investment options.
In addition to its expert editorial line around insurance and financial products, HelloSafe explores broader topics relating to global consumption in Canada and around the world. The aim is to decipher certain complex subjects for consumers and to provide everyone with the latest information. It is within this framework that HelloSafe regularly carries out studies on trends relating to current personal finance in Canada.
This study is based on the results of a survey conducted on the HelloSafe site between September 1 and November 11, 2022, to which 837 people from all over Canada responded. For more information on our editorial line, please click here.
About HelloSafe Canada
HelloSafe is Canada's leading platform for comparing insurance and personal financial products. HelloSafe provides Canadians with hundreds of free, anonymous and quick comparison tools and calculators built on powerful proprietary technology. Up-to-date content from experts accompanies all our comparison tools. Our platform empowers you to make the best decisions with your money and find the right products at the right price.
For all press enquiries, please contact :
Press relations officer for HelloSafe in Canada