Sunpower Shares: Price, Dividends and Performance
Are you interested in investing in the energy transition? If so, SunPower stock is probably a good stock to consider for your investments.
How much can you make with Sunpower stock?
Get up-to-date and precise information on Sunpower stock with its current price, dividend yield, analysis and our opinion.
This page is for information purposes only and does not constitute investment advice. Remember that investing can be risky.
Want to buy shares in Sunpower: Our key take-aways
Stock exchange: Nasdaq
- Stock index: Nasdaq 100
- Dividend 2021: $0
- Dividend forecast 2022: $0
- Performance over 1 year: +34.09%
Should I buy Sunpower stock?
Sunpower's stock appears to be supported by current indicators for interesting future performance.
Although Sunpower does not pay dividends to its shareholders, the stock is still an interesting growth stock that allows you to invest in a fast-growing sector: photovoltaics.
In the past, the performance of this stock has been impressive, with a gain of more than 240% in just 3 years.
It is possible that this upward trend will accelerate in the coming years and that the group will finally decide to pay a dividend to its shareholders.
Ready to invest in Sunpower? Shop now on Qtrade.
Want to buy stocks? Qtrade makes it easy.
How can I buy shares in Sunpower ?
To buy Sunpower on the stock market:
- Find an online broker offering stock investments.
- Open your trading account by filling out a simple form.
- Deposit funds into your account.
- Search for the stock
- Place a buy order to add Sunpower to your stock portfolio.
How much are Sunpower shares?
See price chart below to follow Sunpower stock price in real time.
Why Sunpower shares could go up:
There are a number of things about Sunpower's current economic situation that suggest that the stock price is likely to rise in the longer term. Here are the main points to remember:
- Constant R&D investments: Of course, innovation is at the heart of Sunpower's strategy, and every year the company invests in research and development to develop ever more innovative solar panels and modules.
- Diverse customer base: Sunpower has successfully positioned itself in different segments of the PV market, providing a wide range of revenue streams for both residential and commercial customers.
- Increasing revenue: In recent years, the company has been able to achieve increasing revenue with growing sales and profits.
- Increasing demand: Demand for electricity, especially in the U.S. market, is currently on the rise, which can help Sunpower generate new profits.
- Growing market: With regard to the green energy market in general and the solar energy market in particular, global demand is also growing in light of the need for energy and environmental transition.
Why Sunpower shares could go down:
If Sunpower seems to have many strengths that should allow its share to gain points in the coming months, it also has some weaknesses and elements in favour of a decline in this stock including
- Strong dependence on suppliers: Sunpower is not totally independent in terms of production and is highly dependent on some of its suppliers for certain components and spare parts.
- Fixed-price contracts: Sunpower's contracts are generally fixed-price contracts that do not generate continuous and sustainable revenue.
- Restrictive regulations: Sunpower's procurement rules and regulations are also a relatively significant impediment to its growth.
- Increasing competition: The company is also experiencing increasing competition in the solar industry, which is limiting its ability to grow and gain market share.
- No dividend: Finally, Sunpower shares do not currently offer a dividend to its shareholders, which may be a barrier to some investors purchasing the stock.
Can I buy Sunpower stock online?
Yes! You can buy Sunpower shares online. For many buyers this is the best way to do it. Here's why:
- The commissions are lower
- You can choose your own investments
- You benefit from analysis and decision support tools
- You can invest in stocks directly or through derivatives like ETFs.
How can I sell my Sunpower shares?
You cannot short Sunpower shares from a Canadian registered account. However, if you own shares of this company and wish to sell them, you can do so through derivatives such as CFDs or options, or by opening a margin account that allows short selling.
What investment vehicles in Canada can hold Sunpower stock?
Sunpower shares can be placed in several different savings vehicles including"
- RRSPs: these registered retirement savings plans offer funds that are accessible at the time of retirement and offer an income tax deferral.
- TFSAs: tax-free savings accounts is an incredibly popular short-and long-term tax-free investment vehicle.
- Margin accounts: This account offers leverage and allows you to borrow against the value of the securities you hold to make other investments. It allows you to sell short.
- Cash accounts: This account allows you to trade stocks on North American markets only.
The most common way to invest in SunPower stock is, of course, to buy shares of the company individually through an online broker.
But some investors choose to invest in a more diversified way with an ETF or a mutual fund, which allows them to invest in other stocks in this sector in addition to this stock.
Sunpower share price history over 10 years:
Sunpower dividends and payment dates
In 2021, Sunpower paid no dividend to its shareholders.
Since its listing on the stock market, the group has never rewarded its shareholders with a dividend.
In 2022, no dividend has been announced by this company, which does not mean that the group's distribution policy will remain the same in the longer term.
For the time being, Sunpower prefers to reinvest its profits in research and development or in strategic acquisitions to boost its growth.
What is the dividend yield for Sunpower over the last 10 years?
The yield on Sunpower shares is obtained by dividing the annual dividend by the annual average price.
A stock's yield provides key information about a company's dividend policy and its evolution over time and performance.
Good to know
Annual gross shareholder return = Total dividend for the year ÷ average share price for the same year
Good to know
The 10-year average return = Sum of annual returns ÷ 10
What analysts are saying about Sunpower stock:
A critical analysis of Sunpower stock:
From a fundamental analysis perspective, the long-term signals for Sunpower Group remain encouraging with the following indicators:
- Strong growth: Sunpower's growth is a strong point for the company, with expectations of +68% by 2024.
- Earnings are expected to increase: Analysts also expect the company's earnings to increase for both the current and future fiscal years.
- Positive outlook: Analysts have also repeatedly revised their earnings per share estimates upward in recent months. Overall analyst sentiment and consensus have improved significantly in recent months.
- Margins are still fragile: Despite Sunpower's sales growth expectations, margins remain fragile with relatively low profitability.
- High valuation: In terms of earnings multiples, the group's valuation appears to be particularly high. The company is currently trading at 66.91 times its net earnings per share for the current year.
- Limited upside potential: the price target set by analysts is relatively close to the current price, which limits the upside potential.
- Divergent views: Analysts' views on Sunpower's future earnings and revenue growth are very different, which makes it difficult to value the company.
A technical analysis of Sunpower stock:
Technical analysis data for Sunpower stock is mixed with a neutral long-term trend and the following chart indicators:
- The RSI is currently at 51.075 which does not give any particular signal on this stock.
- The short and medium-term stochastics are sending a sell signal while the longer term stochastic is sending an oversold signal.
- The MACD is currently at the 1.96 level, which is an interesting buy signal.
- The simple and exponential moving averages are all sending a buy signal except for the MA10 and MA20 which are sending a sell signal.
- The next technical supports are located at 17.99 and 14.51 and the next technical resistances are located at 23.53 and 25.59.
Who is Sunpower?
Sunpower Corporation is a U.S.-based company specializing in the solar energy industry.
The company is a provider of distributed generation storage and energy services by offering a solar + storage solution.
The Sunpower Group's revenue are currently split between different segments including:
- Residential solutions
- Light commercial solutions
- Commercial and Industrial solutions
The company offers integrated solar, storage and home energy solutions to customers in the United States and Canada through a range of hardware, software and financing options. The company's products include the SunPower Equinox, SunPower Helix, SunVault and OneRoof brands.
SunPower Equinox products are targeted to residential business customers and SunPower Helix to commercial business customers. The Equinox and Helix systems are modular solutions that are designed for residential and light commercial applications combining high-tensile solar module technology with integrated plug-and-play power stations, cable management systems and mounting hardware. The company also offers a SunPower InvisiMount residential mounting system as part of its product portfolio.
SunPower currently employs 3,660 people and generates all of its sales in the United States and Canada.
Who are Sunpower’s competitors?
The solar energy sector has seen an increase in the number of players in recent years, and Sunpower is facing some major competitors, the main ones being:
- JinkoSolar: This company is currently the world leader in the manufacture of photovoltaic panels. It is a Chinese company that has been listed on the NYSE since 2010.
- JA Solar: This other Chinese company is also specialized in the manufacture of solar panels and components for solar energy. It currently has about 100 distributors and wholesalers around the world.
- Trina Solar: This company is also Chinese and has several large branches in the US, Europe and Asia. It is listed on both the NYSE and the PPVX solar stock index.
- First Solar: This company is a US-based solar panel manufacturer and one of the world's leading solar companies.
- Hanwha Q-Cells: This South Korean company is a manufacturer of photovoltaic modules and is part of the Hanwha Group, which specializes in explosives. Its manufacturing sites are based in South Korea, China, Malaysia and the USA.
Who are Sunpower’s partners?
In addition to its various adversaries, SunPower also has some major strategic allies. Its recent partners include:
- Maxeon Solar Technologies: The two companies have partnered in a strategic transaction by splitting into two independent public companies with their own business models.
- Dhamma Energy: this company has partnered with Sunpower to develop a photovoltaic power plant project in the Mexican state of Guanajuato.
- Casino: The two companies have entered into a partnership to supply SunPower with an additional 20MW of high-efficiency solar modules for the installation of solar power plants on the roofs and parking lots of the Casino Group's establishments in France.
- Toyota Motor Engineering: Another strategic alliance was formed with Toyota to build an 8.77 MW solar system at the company's headquarters in Texas.
Want to buy stocks? Qtrade makes it easy.