Samsung Shares: Price, Dividends and Performance
Samsung Electronics stock is an interesting international stock to bet on in the electronics sector.
How much can you make with Samsung stock?
Get up-to-date and precise information on Samsung stock with its current price, dividend yield, analysis and our opinion.
This page is for information purposes only and does not constitute investment advice. Remember that investing can be risky.
Want to buy shares in Samsung: Our key take-aways
- Stock exchange: Nasdaq
- Stock index: Nasdaq 100
- Dividend 2021: $2.21
- Dividend forecast 2022: $0
- 1 year performance: -68.92%
Should I buy Samsung stock?
Samsung Electronics is a strategic investment in the fast-growing electronics sector.
While the stock's performance has not been particularly strong in the past, rising demand for electronics, mobile communications and semiconductors should allow it to increase its earnings and profitability over the long-term.
As a sign of its success, the group has paid a special dividend to its shareholders in 2021.
Ready to invest in Samsung? Shop now on Qtrade.
Want to buy stocks? Qtrade makes it easy.
How can I buy shares in Samsung ?
To buy Samsung on the stock market:
- Find an online broker offering stock investments.
- Open your trading account by filling out a simple form.
- Deposit funds into your account.
- Search for the stock
- Place a buy order to add Samsung to your stock portfolio.
How much are Samsung shares?
See price chart below to follow Samsung stock price in real time.
Why Samsung shares could go up:
There are several micro and macro elements of Samsung Electronics that are currently supporting a rise in Samsung's share price:
- High brand awareness: the Samsung Group has been in the market for a long time, which gives it a high brand awareness.
- A wide range of products: the company has a very broad product portfolio with various price ranges, which allows it to increase its sales and revenues.
- Strong positions in various segments: The company has strong positions in various market segments, including smartphones, televisions and home appliances.
- Strong innovation: Samsung regularly launches innovative product models and invests heavily in research and development to stay on the cutting edge of technology.
- Global presence: Samsung markets its products worldwide and is present on all continents. It employs 250 000 people.
- Strong communication: The Samsung brand has a strong marketing and advertising strategy that enables it to communicate effectively with the market.
- High turnover: Samsung Electronics' turnover is currently one of the highest in the world, reaching several hundred billion dollars.
Why Samsung shares could go down:
While many elements favour of a rise in the Samsung share price, other elements which could cause it to fall include:
- Strong competition: the very strong and aggressive competition in Samsung's sector of activity forces it to invest significant amounts of money to compete with its rivals.
- Legal issues: In the past, Samsung has faced lawsuits and challenges from environmental agencies that have impacted its brand image.
- Product failures: Similarly, due to the strong market dynamics, a product failure can cause significant losses for the group.
- Exposure to other markets: In addition to being particularly sensitive to global economic fluctuations, Samsung is exposed to foreign exchange market risks that can affect its supply chain and business operations.
Can I buy Samsung stock online?
Yes! You can buy Samsung shares online. For many buyers this is the best way to do it. Here's why:
- The commissions are lower
- You can choose your own investments
- You benefit from analysis and decision support tools
- You can invest in stocks directly or through derivatives like ETFs.
How can I sell my Samsung shares?
In order to sell Samsung stock with a Canadian registered investment vehicle, you must own the stock.
Short selling will only be possible if you invest with a margin account.
Finally, you can also invest in CFDs or options, which are derivative products that allow you to speculate on the decline of this stock.
What investment vehicles in Canada can hold Samsung stock?
Samsung shares can be placed in several different savings vehicles including"
- RRSPs: these registered retirement savings plans offer funds that are accessible at the time of retirement and offer an income tax deferral.
- TFSAs: tax-free savings accounts is an incredibly popular short-and long-term tax-free investment vehicle.
- Margin accounts: This account offers leverage and allows you to borrow against the value of the securities you hold to make other investments. It allows you to sell short.
- Cash accounts: This account allows you to trade stocks on North American markets only.
To invest in Samsung shares, it is possible to place a sell order from your online brokerage platform.
A diversified investment in this industry or stock index, including Samsung shares is also possible with mutual funds and ETFs.
Samsung share price history over 10 years:
Samsung dividends and payment dates
In 2021, the Samsung Group paid a special dividend of $2.21 to its shareholders.
This is a special dividend in the sense that the company did not pay a dividend to its shareholders before this date.
The yield of this dividend is relatively interesting since it reaches 4.60%.
However, Samsung has not announced a dividend in 2022.
What is the dividend yield for Samsung over the last 10 years?
The yield on Samsung shares is obtained by dividing the annual dividend by the annual average price.
A stock's yield provides key information about a company's dividend policy and its evolution over time and performance.
Good to know
Annual gross shareholder return = Total dividend for the year ÷ average share price for the same year
Good to know
The 10-year average return = Sum of annual returns ÷ 10
What analysts are saying about Samsung stock:
A critical analysis of Samsung stock:
Fundamental analysis of Samsung Electronics stock over the medium to long-term provides mixed signals on this stock with the following indicators:
- Positive expectations: analysts working on Samsung anticipate a significant increase in sales over the next few years.
- Optimistic recommendations: similarly, most analysts recommend the stock as Buy or Overweight.
- High price target: the average price target set by analysts is quite far from the current price of this stock, which suggests that the stock will perform well.
- High valuation: with a P/E of 27.69 times earnings in 2022, the company appears to be highly valued.
- Lack of dividend: despite the payment of an exceptional dividend in 2021, the lack of stable shareholder remuneration may act as a brake on buying this stock.
- Diverging opinions: Analysts' price targets for Samsung stock differ significantly, making it difficult to analyse the company.
- Below expectations: Samsung Group has historically reported results below market expectations.
A technical analysis of Samsung stock:
On the technical side, the analysis of Samsung stock charts shows more pessimistic signals with the following indicators:
- The RSI is currently at 48.96 and sends a neutral signal on the stock.
- The short and medium-term stochastics are sending an overbought signal and the long-term stochastic is sending an oversold signal.
- The MACD is at 3,213.14, which is a strong buy signal this time.
- The MA5, MA10, MA20 and MA200 simple and exponential moving averages as well as the MA100 exponential moving average are sending sell signals, while the MA50 and MA100 simple moving averages are sending buy signals.
- The next technical supports for this stock are located at 67.83 and 66.06 and the next resistances are located at 72.23 and 74.86.
Who is Samsung?
Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is a Korean company that specializes in the manufacture and sale of electronic products.
Specifically, the company operates in three different segments including:
- Information Technology and Mobile Communications which manufactures computers, cell phones, network systems, digital cameras and others.
- The Device Solutions segment, which offers semiconductor and display components such as dynamic random access memory, flash, thin film transistor liquid crystal displays and others.
- Finally, the Harman segment manufactures CPUs, infotainment, telematics, speakers and others.
Samsung Electronics markets its products in the domestic and foreign markets.
Who are Samsung’s competitors?
Samsung Electronics being a company present on various segments of the electronics market, it faces many competitors, the main ones include:
- Apple: this American multinational company competes with Samsung in the smartphone and tablet segment as well as in the computer segment.
- Intel Corporation: This American company is one of the world leaders in the semiconductor sector and number two in terms of revenue, just after Samsung.
- Micron Technology: Another U.S. company that specializes in computers and also offers semiconductors.
- Broadcom Corporation: This Nasdaq-listed U.S. company is a leader in the electronics industry, developing semiconductors for the telecommunications sector.
- Western Digital: This American company specializes in computer hardware, mainly hard drives.
- Huawei: this Chinese company is also one of the leaders in the smartphone market today.
Who are Samsung’s partners?
Fortunately, the Samsung Group also often establishes strategic partnerships with other major companies. Here are some of its important partners:
- Netflix: this partnership aims to offer Galaxy smartphone users access to new content with better viewing quality on the American streaming platform.
- Google: similarly, Google has set up several partnerships with Samsung in order to strengthen its presence on the brand's smartphones.
- Verizon: Samsung has developed a 5G cell phone on Verizon in a strategic and innovative partnership.
- iFixit: Samsung Group has partnered with the information site iFixit to enable the repair of Samsung phones in case of breakage.
- Orange: a large-scale partnership has also been set up between Samsung and Orange Business Services in the development of solutions dedicated to companies and based on Samsung tablets.
- Corning: Finally, Samsung is also a partner of the company Corning which offers Gorilla Glass for Smartphones, with the aim of producing screens for foldable Smartphones.
Want to buy stocks? Qtrade makes it easy.