Metro Shares: Price, Dividends and Performance
Metro is one of the most followed Canadian stocks by individual investors.
How much can you make with Metro stock?
Get up-to-date and precise information on Metro stock with its current price, dividend yield, analysis and our opinion.
This page is for information purposes only and does not constitute investment advice. Remember that investing can be risky.
Want to buy shares in Metro: Our key take-aways
Stock Exchange: TSX
- Stock Index: S&P/TSX 60
- Dividend forecast 2022: N/A
- Performance over 1 year: +23.23%
Should I buy Metro stock?
Metro Inc. is not the most attractive yield stock but can be an attractive growth stock.
The dividend paid by Metro is still relatively low with a yield close to 1%. It is therefore mainly used as part of a growth strategy, as analysts' forecasts and the various fundamental and technical signals are rather optimistic for the years to come.
This stock is therefore suitable for the most cautious investor profiles.
Ready to invest in Metro? Shop now on Qtrade.
Want to buy stocks? Qtrade makes it easy.
How can I buy shares in Metro ?
To buy Metro on the stock market:
- Find an online broker offering stock investments.
- Open your trading account by filling out a simple form.
- Deposit funds into your account.
- Search for the stock
- Place a buy order to add Metro to your stock portfolio.
How much are Metro shares?
See price chart below to follow Metro stock price in real time.
Why Metro shares could go up:
Several elements should be considered rather positive with regard to the possibilities of an increase in the Metro share price, including
- A historical presence in the Canadian market: Metro Inc is one of the oldest supermarket chains in Canada and has been operating there since 1976, which gives it an excellent reputation.
- A varied product portfolio: the group offers a very varied product portfolio that allows it to meet all the needs of its customers and prospects.
- A presence under different brands: thanks to an acquisition strategy carried out over the years, Metro is currently at the head of several networks of brands and banners.
- High customer loyalty: despite the very strong competition in this sector, the Metro group manages to retain its current customers through a targeted marketing strategy.
- Numerous initiatives: Metro is also a committed brand that looks after its image through numerous initiatives and strategic partnerships.
Why Metro shares could go down:
If Metro Inc is currently benefiting from many positive signals, we must also take into account elements that are rather in favour of a decrease in its stock price, such as
- Lack of online presence: although Metro Inc is present on the physical market, it is less present online than some of its competitors, which could lead to a loss of market share in the long-term.
- Little international expansion: similarly, the group is still primarily dependent on the Canadian market for revenue generation, which presents a major risk in the event of an economic recession.
- Significant expenses: Metro Inc's income statements show significant expenses and poor control of production costs, which may dampen its profitability and shareholders.
- Significant competition: The group faces strong competition from several other market players, including large companies and local players.
Can I buy Metro stock online?
Yes! You can buy Metro shares online. For many buyers this is the best way to do it. Here's why:
- The commissions are lower
- You can choose your own investments
- You benefit from analysis and decision support tools
- You can invest in stocks directly or through derivatives like ETFs.
How can I sell my Metro shares?
Of course, it is only possible to sell Metro shares if you already have them in your stock portfolio. This is because traditional Canadian savings vehicles do not offer short selling. To bet on the decline of this stock, you can:
- Open a margin account that allows short selling.
- Use derivatives such as options or CFDs to speculate on the decline in stock prices.
What investment vehicles in Canada can hold Metro stock?
Metro shares can be placed in several different savings vehicles including"
- RRSPs: these registered retirement savings plans offer funds that are accessible at the time of retirement and offer an income tax deferral.
- TFSAs: tax-free savings accounts is an incredibly popular short-and long-term tax-free investment vehicle.
- Margin accounts: This account offers leverage and allows you to borrow against the value of the securities you hold to make other investments. It allows you to sell short.
- Cash accounts: This account allows you to trade stocks on North American markets only.
One of the most traditional ways to buy Metro stock is simply to place a buy order on the stock from your regular broker and add it to your portfolio. This method will allow you to receive a dividend from the company.
But some investors choose to diversify their investments by investing in baskets of stocks that include this stock such as ETFs and mutual funds.
Metro share price history over 10 years:
Metro dividends and payment dates
In 2021, Metro Group Inc paid a dividend of $0.28 per share, a yield of 1.56%
It has not yet announced the amount of its future dividend for the year 2022.
Metro's dividend payments are made quarterly in February, May, August and October.
|Dividend: payout 2021||Payout 1||Payout 2||Payout 3||Payout 4|
|Dividend per stock||$0.25 per stock||$0.25 per stock||$0.25 per stock||$0.25 per stock|
What is the dividend yield for Metro over the last 10 years?
The yield on Metro shares is obtained by dividing the annual dividend by the annual average price.
A stock's yield provides key information about a company's dividend policy and its evolution over time and performance.
Good to know
Annual gross shareholder return = Total dividend for the year ÷ average share price for the same year
Good to know
The 10-year average return = Sum of annual returns ÷ 10
What analysts are saying about Metro stock:
A critical analysis of Metro stock:
Fundamental analysis of the Metro share shows an interesting short and medium-term situation with the following indicators:
- Low valuation: with an EV/Sales ratio of 1.05 for the current year, Metro seems to be undervalued.
- Upwardly revised price target: Analysts who are interested in the company have recently revised their forecasts for Metro's price target upwardly.
- Consistent forecasts: Similarly, analysts' forecasts for the stock are relatively close to each other, indicating good visibility of the business.
- Limited growth prospects: Metro is, however, one of the companies with the weakest growth prospects according to estimates.
- Low margins: compared to revenue, the group's margins remain relatively low without taking into account depreciation and amortization.
- Low growth in net income: Finally, the current growth in this company's net income or earnings per share over the next few years is a major weakness.
A technical analysis of Metro stock:
The long and medium-term technical analysis of Metro Inc. stock shows a strong buy signal with the following indicators:
- The RSI indicator is at 65.98, which is an interesting buy signal on this stock.
- The short and medium-term stochastics are also sending a buy signal and the long-term stochastic is sending an overbought signal.
- The MACD is at 3.85 which means a strong upward trend.
- The exponential and simple moving averages are all sending buy signals on this stock.
- Finally, the next technical resistances are located at 70.04 and 72.09 and the next technical supports are at 64.40 and 60.81.
Who is Metro?
The Metro Group Inc. is a Canadian company that operates in the food and pharmaceutical retailing and distribution sector.
It operates a network of supermarkets, discount stores and pharmacies with nearly 950 food stores under several brands including Metro, Metro Plus, Super C and Food Basics, 650 pharmacies under the Jean Coutu, Brunet, Metro Pharmacy and Food Basics Pharmacy brands. The Metro brand has 328 stores, including 118 Metro Plus stores in Quebec and is a supermarket chain. Super C is a chain of discount stores that operates 98 stores in Quebec, Food Basics is also a discount store with 139 locations in Ontario. Finally, the Jean Coutu network has 416 franchised stores in Quebec, New Brunswick and Ontario.
The company currently employs over 90,000 people.
Who are Metro’s competitors?
Although very well positioned in its market, Metro Inc has to face some important competitors that we suggest you discover here:
- Sobeys: this Canadian supermarket chain is based in Stellarton, Nova Scotia and has supermarkets in all 10 provinces of Canada.
- Loblaw: This Canadian retailer is based in Brampton, Ontario and is a direct competitor of Metro.
- Costco: Costco Wholesale Corporation is a retail company that owns and operates a chain of distribution outlets that operate on the principle of self-service wholesale with membership. The group owns more than 715 warehouses around the world.
- Pharmaprix: This company, also known as Shoppers Drug Mart, is a Canadian chain of franchised pharmacies managed by Ontario-based Shoppers Drug Mart Inc. The group owns and operates 1,300 pharmacies and is the largest pharmacy chain in Canada.
Who are Metro’s partners?
Of course, the Metro Inc group can also count on certain strategic allies and regularly sets up interesting partnerships.
- Uber Eats: a strategic partnership has been signed with the Uber Eats application, allowing consumers in the Greater Montreal area to order ready-to-eat meals from the application.
- LoyaltyOne: The two companies have signed a multi-year partnership that extends an existing partnership in the Ontario market. Metro customers can earn Air Miles reward miles in Ontario and take advantage of reward options offered by the program.
- Cornershop: During the Covid-19 pandemic, the Metro Group also partnered with the Cornershop mobile app to implement a home delivery service.
- Première Moisson: Finally, the Metro Group also recently announced the acquisition of a majority stake in Boulangerie Première Moisson in order to differentiate itself with an expanded line of quality baked goods.
Want to buy stocks? Qtrade makes it easy.