BCE Shares: Price, Dividends and Performance
BCE or Bell Canada Enterprises is an interesting performance stock to hold in your portfolio.
How much can you make with BCE stock?
Get up-to-date and precise information on BCE stock with its current price, dividend yield, analysis and our opinion.
This page is for information purposes only and does not constitute investment advice. Remember that investing can be risky.
Want to buy shares in BCE: Our key take-aways
Stock Exchange: TSX
- Stock Index: S&P/TSX 60
- Dividend 2021: $2.793
- Dividend forecast 2022: N/A
- 1 year performance: +19.47%.
Should I buy BCE stock?
BCE stock is a recommended stock if you want to bet on a yield strategy.
This stock offers an interesting and rising dividend with a yield of more than 5% for several years.
Moreover, analysts anticipate a continuation of the upward trend of this stock in the months and years to come, which suggests a long-term capital gain.
Find out where and how to buy it, what its current and historical dividend is, as well as its performance and the analyst consensus for the coming years.
Ready to invest in BCE? Shop now on Qtrade.
Want to buy stocks? Qtrade makes it easy.
How can I buy shares in BCE ?
To buy BCE on the stock market:
- Find an online broker offering stock investments.
- Open your trading account by filling out a simple form.
- Deposit funds into your account.
- Search for the stock
- Place a buy order to add BCE to your stock portfolio.
How much are BCE shares?
See price chart below to follow BCE stock price in real time.
Why BCE shares could go up:
Several macro and micro-economic elements concerning Bell Canada Enterprises are in favour of a rise in the share price, including
- An extensive distribution network: this network allows BCE to cover a large population of customers and to win new prospects.
- A leading position: in the Canadian market, the BCE group is currently the market leader and enjoys a certain notoriety.
- Operational efficiency: The group's operational efficiency has proven itself over the past decades and allows it to achieve attractive margins.
- Strong brand image: The company enjoys a strong, positive brand image with its customers and its advertising is particularly popular.
- Growing demand: With the advent of 5G, demand in this industry is booming, which benefits BCE's business.
- Strategic Acquisitions: Finally, the company's growth and increased profitability is due to the many strategic acquisitions it has made in the past.
Why BCE shares could go down:
However, other current elements may suggest a decline in the share price in the more or less long-term. In particular, the following elements should be noted:
- A strong dependence on subsidiaries: the BCE group's revenue are largely dependent on its subsidiaries, which can represent an operational risk in case of a problem with one of them.
- Past Criticism and Litigation: In the past, this company has also experienced criticism and some litigation from consumers regarding misleading pricing or censorship.
- Regulatory Requirements: Relatively stringent regulatory requirements in Canada may penalize the BCE Group in terms of revenue or in the development of its business.
- Strong competition: although BCE is an industry leader, it may also be subject to increasingly aggressive competition, particularly on price.
- Changes in government policies: Finally, changes in government policies may also have a negative impact on the growth of this company.
Can I buy BCE stock online?
Yes! You can buy BCE shares online. For many buyers this is the best way to do it. Here's why:
- The commissions are lower
- You can choose your own investments
- You benefit from analysis and decision support tools
- You can invest in stocks directly or through derivatives like ETFs.
How can I sell my BCE shares?
To sell BCE shares, you must be a holder and therefore have purchased them beforehand. All you have to do is place a stock market order from your brokerage platform to put them on sale.
It is also possible, in two ways, to bet on the sale of this security without holding it beforehand either:
- By making a short sale through a margin account.
- By using derivatives such as CFDs or options.
What investment vehicles in Canada can hold BCE stock?
BCE shares can be placed in several different savings vehicles including"
- RRSPs: these registered retirement savings plans offer funds that are accessible at the time of retirement and offer an income tax deferral.
- TFSAs: tax-free savings accounts is an incredibly popular short-and long-term tax-free investment vehicle.
- Margin accounts: This account offers leverage and allows you to borrow against the value of the securities you hold to make other investments. It allows you to sell short.
- Cash accounts: This account allows you to trade stocks on North American markets only.
To buy BCE shares, you can place a buy order for the number of shares you wish to add to your portfolio through your usual broker.
It is also possible to diversify your investments by investing in a basket of securities that includes BCE stock, such as an ETF or a mutual fund.
BCE share price history over 10 years:
BCE dividends and payment dates
In 2021, the BCE group paid its shareholders a dividend of $3.50 per share. This dividend represents a yield of 5.25%.
The dividend to be paid in 2022 has not yet been communicated by the group, but estimates point to an amount of $3.68 per share, representing a yield of 5.52%.
BCE's dividend is paid quarterly, four times a year, in February, July, May and October.
|Dividend: payout 2021||Payout 1||Payout 2||Payout 3||Payout 4|
|Dividend per stock||$0.0875 per stock||$0.0875 per stock||$0.0875 per stock||$0.875 per stock|
What is the dividend yield for BCE over the last 10 years?
The yield on BCE shares is obtained by dividing the annual dividend by the annual average price.
A stock's yield provides key information about a company's dividend policy and its evolution over time and performance.
Good to know
Annual gross shareholder return = Total dividend for the year ÷ average share price for the same year
Good to know
The 10-year average return = Sum of annual returns ÷ 10
What analysts are saying about BCE stock:
A critical analysis of BCE stock:
The various fundamental indicators concerning the BCE Inc share are currently mostly positive and the following elements should be noted:
- High margins: The group's margins before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization appear to be particularly high.
- A rising dividend: BCE Group is also a yield stock, as its dividend is regular and expected to rise over the next few years.
- Consistent forecasts: analysts' forecasts for the future development of BCE's business are relatively consistent, reflecting good visibility or good communication by the group.
- Weak growth prospects: however, the group's growth prospects seem relatively weak compared to the sector and according to current analysts' estimates.
- High debt: the group's financial situation is also not very positive, as it has a high level of debt with a low EBITDA.
- Below expectations: Finally, the group often publishes results below analysts' expectations and its own forecasts.
A technical analysis of BCE stock:
The technical analysis of the BCE share also gives positive signals on the medium and long-term with the following indicators:
- The RSI is currently at 67.31 and therefore sends a neutral signal on this stock.
- The MACD is at 2.27, which gives a relatively interesting buy signal.
- The stochastic indicators over all periods give us a neutral signal on the ECB share.
- All the simple and exponential moving averages give a strong buy signal on this stock and on all the periods.
- Regarding the strategic chart points, we note that the next technical support levels are located at 67.53 and 49.56 and that the next major technical resistances are placed at 70.53 and 75.26.
Who is BCE?
The BCE Group or Bell Canada Enterprises is a Canadian company that is both a wireless and Internet service provider that offers wireless broadband, television and fixed telephony in Canada. It is currently one of the three largest mobile operators in Canada, with over 10 million customers and nearly 30% of the market share.
The group is also the incumbent local exchange carrier, the former provider of telephone services in much of the eastern half of Canada, including the most populous Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec.
BCE also operates a media segment that owns television, radio and digital media assets. It licenses Canadian rights to movie channels such as HBO, Showtime and Starz. Its revenue are distributed as follows:
- The wireline segment is 54% of revenue
- The wireless segment is 39% of revenue
- The media segment is 7% of revenue
Who are BCE’s competitors?
BCE is currently the leader in its sector of activity in Canada but still faces some serious competitors including:
- Videotron: this telecommunications company is one of the leaders in this sector in Canada. It was created in 1694 and operates in the fields of cable television, Internet access, cable telephony and wireless telephony. It is a subsidiary of Québecor Media.
- Cogeco: The General Communications Company is a Quebec-based telecommunications and audiovisual group that has been in existence since 1957.
- Rogers Communications: one of the largest telecommunications groups in Canada, particularly in the areas of mobile telephony and Internet access, as well as cable television and mass media.
- SaskTek: This provincial Crown corporation operates under the authority of The Saskatchewan Telecommunications Act. It is the principal telecommunications company in the Province of Saskatchewan.
- Shaw Communications is a Canadian telecommunications operator and a publicly traded company on the S&P/TSX 60 Index.
- Telus: Telus is another Canadian telecommunications company and is the second largest telecommunications operator in the country after Bell Canada.
Who are BCE’s partners?
While the BCE group has many competitors that could take market share, it also regularly enters into strategic partnerships with other companies including:
- Equinix: Bell Canada recently partnered with Equinix in accelerating its digital transformation in the Canadian enterprise market.
- Quibi: The group has also become the exclusive partner of Quibi. As part of this agreement, Canada's leading news and sports networks CTV News and TSN will produce customized content that Bell will promote through Bell Media and Bell Mobility.
- Google Cloud: The group also signed a strategic partnership with Google Cloud in digital transformation to improve its network and IT infrastructure. This is a multi-year partnership that will combine Bell's leadership in 5G networking with Google's expertise in multi-cloud technology.
- Amazon Web Services: The group is also partnering with AWS to increase its 5G network capacity. As part of the agreement, Bell will integrate Amazon's compute and storage services at the edge of its 5G network.
Want to buy stocks? Qtrade makes it easy.