Apple Shares: Price, Dividends and Performance
Apple is probably one of the most popular stocks for individual investors.
With a performance that has exceeded 800% in 10 years and a regular dividend even though its yield is low, this stock has a place in a stock portfolio in a long-term strategy, not to mention that analysts are currently issuing buy recommendations on this stock.
How much can you make with Apple stock?
Get up-to-date and precise information on Apple stock with its current price, dividend yield, analysis and our opinion.
This page is for information purposes only and does not constitute investment advice. Remember that investing can be risky.
Want to buy shares in Apple: Our key take-aways
Stock exchange: NASDAQ
- Stock index: NASDAQ 100
- Dividend 2021: $0.87
- Dividend forecast 2022: N/A
- Performance over 1 year: +26.80%
Should I buy Apple stock?
Apple is an interesting stock if you are looking for a strategy with a long investment horizon.
This stock has seen its capitalization increase from year to year with an impressive performance over the long-term. The reason why Apple pays little dividend is to boost its growth and profits through targeted investments.
Finally, Apple's stock is showing largely positive signals from both a fundamental and technical perspective.
Ready to invest in Apple? Shop now on Qtrade.
Want to buy stocks? Qtrade makes it easy.
How can I buy shares in Apple ?
To buy Apple on the stock market:
- Find an online broker offering stock investments.
- Open your trading account by filling out a simple form.
- Deposit funds into your account.
- Search for the stock
- Place a buy order to add Apple to your stock portfolio.
How much are Apple shares?
See price chart below to follow Apple stock price in real time.
Why Apple shares could go up:
The analysis of the Apple company and its economic model gives us several elements in favour of a rise of this value in the stock market in the more or less long-term:
- The largest market capitalization: the market capitalization of the Apple group has exceeded 2,000 billion dollars.
- A leading position: several sources define Apple as the leader in its market, whether in terms of sales, production of devices or profits.
- Strong brand awareness: Apple's international brand awareness is particularly strong.
- An innovative company: Apple was the first to position itself in certain segments such as smartphones with innovative products. Its products are also considered to be particularly reliable and secure. Apple invests a lot in research and development in order to maintain a permanent innovation.
- An effective marketing strategy: Apple succeeds in building customer loyalty through an effective and proven strategy.
- Diversified product portfolio: Apple offers a wide range of products for both businesses and consumers, allowing it to diversify its revenue streams.
Why Apple shares could go down:
If the Apple group benefits from numerous elements in favour of a rise in its share price, certain elements may prove unfavourable to this value, including
- Product incompatibility: Apple's desire to keep its products in an ecosystem that is separate from other operating systems can be a hindrance to buyers.
- Less effort than the competition: Apple spends less on marketing than most of its competitors.
- Limited distribution network: Similarly, Apple markets its products by focusing on expanding its own network, especially in emerging markets.
- Intense competition: although Apple is the market leader, its status is constantly threatened by the presence of fierce players and competitors, especially from China.
- Negative impact of counterfeit products: Some damage is caused by the fraudulent use of the Apple brand in the sale of counterfeit products.
- Regular lawsuits: In recent years, the Apple brand has been subject to numerous class-action lawsuits, which negatively affects its brand image and sales.
Can I buy Apple stock online?
Yes! You can buy Apple shares online. For many buyers this is the best way to do it. Here's why:
- The commissions are lower
- You can choose your own investments
- You benefit from analysis and decision support tools
- You can invest in stocks directly or through derivatives like ETFs.
How can I sell my Apple shares?
Once you have Apple stock in your portfolio, you have the option of selling it if you feel you've made an attractive gain.
If you don't own Apple stock and want to sell it, there are alternatives such as:
- Selling them short: Some accounts such as margin accounts allow this method but you will not be able to short sell with a traditional investment vehicle.
- Using derivatives: To bet on the decline of a stock, you can use certain derivatives such as options or CFDs.
What investment vehicles in Canada can hold Apple stock?
Apple shares can be placed in several different savings vehicles including"
- RRSPs: these registered retirement savings plans offer funds that are accessible at the time of retirement and offer an income tax deferral.
- TFSAs: tax-free savings accounts is an incredibly popular short-and long-term tax-free investment vehicle.
- Margin accounts: This account offers leverage and allows you to borrow against the value of the securities you hold to make other investments. It allows you to sell short.
- Cash accounts: This account allows you to trade stocks on North American markets only.
It is possible to buy Apple shares online and for cash through a traditional stockbroker. With this method of investment, you will receive a dividend from the company for every share you own.
Aside from buying Apple stock individually, you can invest in a basket of stocks by investing in a fund such as an ETF that will include Apple stock and other stocks.
Apple share price history over 10 years:
Apple dividends and payment dates
In 2021, Apple paid a total dividend of $0.87 per share to its shareholders.
The amount of the dividend that will be paid to shareholders in 2022 for the fiscal year 2021 has not yet been voted on and is therefore not yet known.
Apple's dividend distribution is a quarterly distribution. Thus, the group paid in 2021 four times the sum of $0.22 for each share held.
The yield of this annual dividend is currently 0.56%.
|Dividend: payout 2021||Payout 1||Payout 2||Payout 3||Payout 4|
|Dividend per stock||$0.22 per stock||$0.22 per stock||$0.22 per stock||$0.21 per stock|
|Dividend: payout 2022||Payout 1||Payout 2||Payout 3||Payout 4|
|Dividend per stock||$0.22 per stock||Pending||Pending||Pending|
What is the dividend yield for Apple over the last 10 years?
The yield on Apple shares is obtained by dividing the annual dividend by the annual average price.
A stock's yield provides key information about a company's dividend policy and its evolution over time and performance.
Good to know
Annual gross shareholder return = Total dividend for the year ÷ average share price for the same year
Good to know
The 10-year average return = Sum of annual returns ÷ 10
What analysts are saying about Apple stock:
A critical analysis of Apple stock:
Fundamental analysis of Apple's stock shows strong fundamentals and its short- to medium-term position is interesting with the following elements:
- Strong EBITDA/CA to sales ratio: this is above the industry average and shows high net margins.
- Strong financial position: the company's financial position is excellent with strong investment capacity.
- Upwardly revised analyses: analysts' expectations regarding the group's future revenue and their profitability estimates for the next few years have been revised upward several times over the past 12 months.
- Buy recommendations: Analysts covering Apple have also mostly issued Buy recommendations on the stock with an upwardly revised price target.
- Good visibility on the business: Visibility on the group's future activities is excellent and analysts' opinions are very close, which confirms a good predictability of revenue for the next few years.
- Earnings ahead of expectations: Historically, Apple has consistently delivered earnings ahead of expectations.
- Limited growth potential: Given the relatively low expected growth, Apple does not have the greatest potential for revenue growth.
- High valuation: Based on current prices, Apple has a high valuation in terms of enterprise value.
A technical analysis of Apple stock:
In terms of technical analysis of Apple's share price, the charts are currently returning a strong buy signal over the long-term with the following indicators:
- The RSI is currently at 70.005, which is a strong buy signal.
- The MACD level is at 24.28, which also represents an interesting buy signal.
- The Stochastics are moving in a scattered pattern and are currently giving a neutral signal.
- The simple and exponential moving averages are all giving a strong buy signal.
- The next technical support levels for Apple are at 158.68 and 142.57 and its next technical resistance levels are at 186.92 and 199.05.
Who is Apple?
The Apple Group is an American company that designs, manufactures and sells computer hardware and music media. Its activities concern several segments and are distributed as follows:
- Telephone products: they represent 52.5% of turnover and are sold under the IPhone brand
- Peripherals: these represent 10.5% of revenue and include monitors, storage systems, printers, video cameras, memory cards, servers and switches.
- Computers: represent 9.6% of sales with MacBook, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro laptops and desktop computers such as iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro and XServe.
- Music devices: these account for 8.7% of the group's revenue with the iPod and iPad brands and accessories.
- Software: Finally, software accounts for 18.7% of revenue and also includes maintenance and Internet access services.
Geographically, Apple's revenue are distributed as follows:
- 41.9% in the Americas
- 18.7% in China
- 7.8% in Japan
- 7.2% in Asia Pacific
- 24.4% in Europe
Who are Apple’s competitors?
The Apple group is currently a leaer in its sector of activity, whether in the smartphone or computer segment. However, it has to face some major competitors such as:
- Samsung Electronics: this Korean company is specialized in the manufacture of electronic products and is a 100% subsidiary of the Samsung group which is one of the main Korean chaebols.
- Xiami Corporation: this Chinese company is specialized in electronics and information technology, particularly in consumer cell phones. It is one of the leaders in this field.
- Oppo: this brand of smartphone belongs to the multinational BBK Electronics and is one of the most sold brands on the market today.
- Huawei: this Chinese company offers information and communication technology solutions and also provides hardware, software and services for telecommunication networks of operators and professional computer networks.
- Lenovo: This Chinese company also specializes in the manufacture of computers, telephones, workstations, computer servers and connected televisions.
Who are Apple’s partners?
Apple is also gaining popularity and profitability by signing various partnerships with other companies around the world. Here are some of its major current partners:
- Target: The U.S. supermarket chain has signed a partnership to offer benefits related to Apple's services in its loyalty program.
- Cisco: The two companies have partnered to develop security, networking and collaboration solutions to provide Apple users with a secure experience and business performance over Cisco networks.
- Simplon: Apple and Simplon have created a program that allows Simplon interns on the path to rehabilitation to learn the basics of coding to develop mobile applications using Apple's programming language, Swift.
Want to buy stocks? Qtrade makes it easy.