Want to know more about car insurance in Saskatchewan? Would you like information on coverage levels, prices, but also tips on how to save on your car insurance? You’re in luck, in this guide we detail everything you need to know before taking out car insurance in Saskatchewan, the specifics of this province, car insurance premiums, mandatory and optional coverage levels.
How does auto insurance work in Saskatchewan?
Car insurance is provided to drivers by the provincial government through Saskatchewan Government Insurance, that is the only supplier if you are looking for car insurance. Drivers purchase their car insurance directly from Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI).
You can purchase auto insurance with a tort option or you can opt for the no-fault coverage. Drivers who opt for the tort option can sue for loss and suffering.
In this province, mandatory car insurance is called "license plate insurance”, this includes:
- Third party liability
- Personal injury benefits
- Uninsured motorists
What are the different car insurance types in Saskatchewan?
In Saskatchewan, there are several car coverages that are mandatory by law:
This insurance is compulsory in Saskatchewan and covers you for:
- Material damage and bodily injury caused to others by your fault
- The minimum mandatory amount is $200,000
Accident benefits coverage
This insurance provides protection for bodily injury and:
- Covers you if you are injured in an accident regardless of who is at fault
- Covers the medical staff involved in the accident: medical care, rehabilitation and auxiliary care services
- Covers income replacement.
You must be insured for at least an amount of $7-million for medical payments.
Uninsured automobile insurance
This insurance applies if you or someone in your vehicle is either injured or killed by an uninsured driver, or by a hit-and-run driver.
Collision car insurance
This auto insurance protects you in the event of a collision of your vehicle with an object, which can also be the rollover of your vehicle. This insurance covers property damage caused by this accident. For example, if you hit a traffic sign, you will be covered by collision insurance. This coverage is not mandatory.
Comprehensive car insurance
This insurance protects you for anything that is not collision or upset, as the name suggests, therefore for anything that is vandalism, glass breakage, theft, fire. If you park your vehicle on the street and when you come back, one of the windows has been broken, you will be able to use this insurance if you have subscribed to it. It is possible to make car insurance estimates to see how much you want to be insured up to.
|Type of insurance||Required?|
|Direct Compensation Property Damage||No|
What are the optional auto insurance coverages?
Here are all the options you can add to your car insurance to be best protected:
|Options||Explications||Availability in Saskatchewan|
|Non-owned automobiles||Your rental vehicle will be insured in the same manner as your insured vehicle(s).|
Covers you for up to $50,000, with a $250 deductible.
|Accident Forgiveness||Your first accident won’t increase your car insurance premium||Yes|
|Replacement value for total loss||Also known as replacement value, your insurer will compensate you based on the purchase value of the vehicle without taking depreciation into account.||Yes|
|Alternate Transportation Benefits||Also known as loss of use of the vehicle, this covers the cost of rentals, transportation, cabs that you had to take during the period when you were unable to use your vehicle.||Yes|
|Emergency roadside||if you are out of gas, stuck, have a cracked wheel, the road assistance is there for it.||Yes|
|Increase liability coverage||Possible to increase your liability coverage||Yes|
How much is car insurance in Saskatchewan?
In Saskatchewan, there are a number of factors to consider when determining the price of your car insurance:
The price of car insurance in Saskatchewan is based on several factors:
- Your driving record, i.e. your driving history
- The place where you live: it won’t be the same thing if you live in a city or in the countryside!
- The type of vehicle you drive: Depending on the vehicle you drive, your premium will increase or not. If it is a really a model that can be easily stolen, your premium will get higher. If you drive one of the most stolen cars, it is quite sure that your premium will tend to be higher.
- The use you make of your vehicle: are your journeys to and from work daily, for example? Do you use your vehicle for business purposes?
- The number of people insured on your car insurance and their driving level
- The date you obtained your driver’s license
- Third party liability: did you choose $1,000,000 third party liability? More? Less? This changes your premium a lot!
- The optional coverage: did you add accident forgiveness for example? Roadside assistance? Similarly, this impacts your premium.
According to the IBC, car insurance average premium in Saskatchewan is $1,235 per year, so it is quite expensive compared to other provinces in Canada. We wan guess that this is due to the fact that their mandatory car insurance coverage is much more large than in the others provinces.
Here is a car insurance quote online from the SGI insurance rate calculator: for a quite recent car from 2015, with the mandatory car insurance coverages, you will pay $99.36 per month.
What are the best discounts offered by car insurances in Saskatchewan?
SGI offer many discounts to save money on your insurance. Here are some of the best known:
- Loyalty discount: insured by SGI continuously, you will get a discount
- Discount for combined policies: you can get a discount by combining your car and home insurance for example with SGI.
- Discount if you are a farmer and live in a farm
- Discount for having anti theft devices in your car
- Discount if you have more than 1 vehicle insured with SGI
9 ways to get cheap car insurance in Saskatchewan
Here 9 tips so save on your car insurance in Saskatchewan!
- Bundle your policies: You could easily get a discount if you buy car and home insurance at the same insurer.
- Shop and compare to get the best deal!
- Choose the right amount of deductible: If you choose a low deductible, your car insurance premium will go high. So choose high deductible if you want to lower your car insurance premium!
- Choose the right coverages! For example, if you drive a really old car, maybe you should’t have a very complete car insurance.
- Pay annually: This will avoid to pay the rate fees to pay monthly.
- Security-device: you should install safety devices on your car, you could enjoy discounts!
- Have a good driving record: the best you drive, the lower you’ll pay!
- Install a telematic device: this tool will register your driving behavior and your car insurance premium will be adapt to your kind of driving. So, if you’re a safe driver, and you want to save money on your car insurance, go for it!
- Don’t hesitate to use the discounts we have just listed, depending on your situation. For example, if you’re a student, you will find interesting discounts for you.