You want to know more about car insurance in Ottawa? Where to find the best deals? What coverage is mandatory or not?
Perfect, just read this guide, you'll learn everything you need to know about car insurance in Ottawa!
How does car insurance work in Ottawa?
In Ottawa, from the moment you own a vehicle, you must insure it through a private insurer. Your insurer will give you a certificate of automobile insurance, which must be renewed each year. This insurance certificate indicates the level of protection you have chosen, the optional guarantees chosen, the period of coverage.
Driving without auto insurance is punishable by fines ranging from $5,000 to $15,000. Your driver’s license may be suspended and your vehicle may be seized.
Ottawa works with a no-fault system, it means that you have to deal first with your insurance company for your claims, regardless of whether or not you’re at fault. Two examples of this:
- You’re at fault: your insurance company won’t pay anything unless you took the optional coverages: collision, comprehensive depending on the claim.
- You’re not at fault: your insurance will pay under the DCPD coverage.
Let’s see in details what are the different coverages mandatory or not.
What are the different car insurance in Ottawa?
In Ottawa, there are several car coverages that are mandatory by law:
This insurance is compulsory and covers you for:
- Material damage and bodily injury caused to others by your fault
- The minimum mandatory amount is $200,000
Statutory accident benefits coverage
This insurance provides protection for bodily injury and:
- Covers you if you are injured in an accident regardless of who is at fault
- Covers the medical staff involved in the accident: medical care, rehabilitation and auxiliary care services
- Covers income replacement.
You must be insured for at least an amount of:
- $65,000 for non-disabling injuries
- $1,000,000 for critical disabling injuries
You can decide to increase your car insurance amount to:
- $130,000 for non-disabling injuries
- $2,000,000 for critical disabling injuries
Here are details of this protection:
- Income replacement: 70% of your gross income up to $400 per week
- Caregiver Benefits: Up to $250 per week for the first dependant
- Death and Funeral Benefits: Up to $25,000 payout to the spouse
Direct Compensation-Property Damage (DC-PD)
This car insurance covers you for:
- Damage to your vehicle
- The contents of your vehicle
There are a few conditions:
- You must not be responsible for the accident
- It must have taken place in Ottawa
- Another vehicle must be involved
- The other vehicle must be insured by licensed insurer
- Your insurance provider pays to repair your car
Uninsured automobile insurance
This insurance applies if you or someone in your vehicle is either injured or killed by an uninsured driver, or by a hit-and-run driver.
This little table recapitulates well which car insurance coverage is mandatory in Ottawa.
|Ottawa car insurance||Required|
|Direct Compensation Property Damage||Yes|
What are the optional auto insurance coverages in Ottawa?
Here are all the options you can add to your car insurance to be best protected:
Collision car insurance in Ottawa
This auto insurance protects you in the event of a collision of your vehicle with an object, which can also be the rollover of your vehicle. This insurance covers property damage caused by this accident. For example, if you hit a traffic sign, you will be covered by collision insurance. This coverage is not mandatory.
Comprehensive car insurance in Ottawa
This insurance protects you for anything that is not collision or upset, as the name suggests, therefore for anything that is vandalism, glass breakage, theft, fire. If you park your vehicle on the street and when you come back, one of the windows has been broken, you will be able to use this insurance if you have subscribed to it. It is possible to make car insurance estimates to see how much you want to be insured up to.
Specified Perils Auto Insurance in Ottawa
It covers you for risks that you have specified in the contract. For example, you can mention glass breakage but not include vandalism, theft but not include fire.
All-risk car insurance in Ottawa
This insurance is a combination of all other insurances: collision, payout and collision free. The deductible is the same for all damages. You will thus be protected for all incidents beyond your control (vandalism, theft, fire) but also for incidents resulting from a road accident, collision with an object, or the overturning of your vehicle.
What are the other options that you could add to your car insurance in Ottawa?
Here are the options you could add to your car insurance in Ottawa, most of the car insurance companies propose this:
|Options||Explications||Availability in Ottawa|
|Leased vehicule||Your rental vehicle will be insured in the same manner as your insured vehicle(s).||Yes|
|Accident Forgiveness||Your first accident won’t increase your car insurance premium||Yes|
|Replacement value for total loss||Also known as replacement value, your insurer will compensate you based on the purchase value of the vehicle without taking depreciation into account.||Yes|
|Alternate Transportation Benefits||Also known as loss of use of the vehicle, this covers the cost of rentals, transportation, cabs that you had to take during the period when you were unable to use your vehicle.||Yes|
|Emergency roadside||if you are out of gas, stuck, have a cracked wheel, the road assistance is there for it.||Yes|
How much is car insurance in Ottawa?
In Ottawa, there are a number of factors to consider when determining the price of your car insurance:
The price of car insurance in Ottawa is based on several factors:
- Your driving record, i.e. your driving history
- The place where you live: it won’t be the same thing if you live in a city or in the countryside!
- The type of vehicle you drive: Depending on the vehicle you drive, your premium will increase or not. If it is a really a model that can be easily stolen, your premium will get higher. If you drive one of the most stolen cars, it is quite sure that your premium will tend to be higher.
- The use you make of your vehicle: are your journeys to and from work daily, for example? Do you use your vehicle for business purposes?
- The number of people insured on your car insurance and their driving level
- The date you obtained your driver’s license
- Third party liability: did you choose $1,000,000 third party liability? More? Less? This changes your premium a lot!
- The optional coverage: did you add accident forgiveness for example? roadside assistance? Same, this impacts your premium.
Car insurance quotes Ottawa
According to the IBC, the average car insurance premium in Ontario is and in Ottawa, average car insurance premium in Ottawa is $2,000.
Why Ottawa car insurance is so expensive?
Ottawa is the second biggest town in Ontario and the fourth largest in Canada. Ottawa is an active city, meaning that millions of people are going to work everyday, but fun fact, Ottawa has one of the lowest accident rates in Canada. Ottawa is a really safe place to drive, roads are not congested, collision rate are low.
The most determining factor is not necessarily the size of the city but rather the number of claims made per capita to an insurer.
Ottawa is expensive when it comes to car insurance but it is not the most expensive city in Alberta, many Ontario residents pay much more for their car insurance.
What are the best car insurance in Ottawa?
Here are the best car insurance in Ottawa:
What are the best discounts offered by car insurances in Ottawa?
Ottawa auto insurers offer many discounts to save money on your insurance. Here are some of the best known:
- Young Driver Discounts
Many insurers offer discounts for young drivers because the insurance premium for young people is quite high.
- Group Discount
You can benefit from a discount if you are part of a group, this can be members of an association, employees of the same company etc.
- Discount for experienced drivers
You can get a discount if you have a good driving record and are over 50 years old.
- Discount for combined policies
You can get a discount by combining your car and home insurance for example, the discount is often between 5 and 15%.
- Discount for winter tires
It’s snowing in Ottawa! That’s why insurers often offer a discount if you add snow tires to your vehicle.
- Retiree discount
You may be eligible for a 15% discount on Accident Benefits
- Renewal Discount
Your loyalty can be rewarded by some insurers, if for example you have been with them for many years without having caused any accidents. You may also be eligible for other discounts depending on the auto insurers in Ottawa:
- Low mileage discount
- Antitheft discount: Adding security to your vehicle
9 ways to get cheap car insurance in Ottawa
Here 9 tips so save on your car insurance in Ottawa!
- Bundle your policies: You could easily get a discount if you buy car and home insurance at the same insurer.
- Shop and compare to get the best deal!
- Choose the right amount of deductible: If you choose a low deductible, your car insurance premium will go high. So choose high deductible if you want to lower your car insurance premium!
- Choose the right coverages! For example, if you drive a really old car, maybe you should’t have a very complete car insurance.
- Pay annually: This will avoid to pay the rate fees to pay monthly.
- Security-device: you should install safety devices on your car, you could enjoy discounts!
- Have a good driving record: the best you drive, the lower you’ll pay!
- Install a telematic device: this tool will register your driving behavior and your car insurance premium will be adapt to your kind of driving. So, if you’re a safe driver, and you want to save money on your car insurance, go for it!
- Don’t hesitate to use the discounts we have just listed, depending on your situation. For example, if you’re a student, you will find interesting discounts for you.