What is the cheapest car insurance in Calgary?
Do you want to know how much is car insurance in Calgary, what are the mandatory coverages?
Perfect, you’ve come to the right place!
In this guide, we will tell you everything you need to know about car insurance in Calgary: cover features, tips to save money as well as cheapest car insurance companies for your car in Calgary.
Let’s dive in!
How does car insurance work in Calgary?
In Calgary, from the moment you own a vehicle, you must insure it through a private insurer. Rates are regulated by the Alberta government.
In Alberta they use a grid rating program to establish the maximum premiums drivers should pay for their basic coverage (third party liability and accident benefits). The lower you are on the grid program, the less you will pay for you car insurance premium. The others coverages that are optionals are based on the insurance company rates.
Calgary is one of the biggest city in Canada, the 5th largest. Calgary is known to be a really beautiful city, surrounded by nature.
What are the different car insurance in Calgary?
In Calgary, there are several car coverages that are mandatory by law:
This insurance is compulsory and covers you for:
- Material damage and bodily injury caused to others by your fault
- The minimum mandatory amount is $200,000
Accident benefits coverage
This insurance provides protection for bodily injury and:
- Covers you if you are injured in an accident regardless of who is at fault
- Covers the medical staff involved in the accident: medical care, rehabilitation and auxiliary care services
- Covers income replacement.
This little table recapitulates well which car insurance coverage is mandatory in Calgary:
|Direct Compensation Property Damage||No|
What are the optional auto insurance coverages?
Here are all the options you can add to your car insurance to be best protected:
Collision car insurance
This auto insurance protects you in the event of a collision of your vehicle with an object, which can also be the rollover of your vehicle. This insurance covers property damage caused by this accident. For example, if you hit a traffic sign, you will be covered by collision insurance. This coverage is not mandatory.
Comprehensive car insurance
This insurance protects you for anything that is not collision or upset, as the name suggests. Therefore, for anything that is vandalism, glass breakage, theft, or fire. If you park your vehicle on the street and when you come back, one of the windows has been broken, you will be able to use this insurance if you have the coverage. It is possible to make car insurance estimates to see how much insurance you need.
Specified Perils Auto Insurance
It covers you for risks that you have specified in the contract. For example, you can mention glass breakage but not include vandalism, theft but not include fire.
All-risk car insurance
This insurance is a combination of all other coverages: collision, payout and collision free. The deductible is the same for all damages. You will thus be protected for all incidents beyond your control (vandalism, theft, fire) but also for incidents resulting from a road accident, collision with an object, or the overturning of your vehicle.
What are the other options that you could add to your car insurance?
Here are the options you could add to your car insurance in Calgary, most of the car insurance companies propose these:
|Options||Explications||Availability in Calgary|
|Leased vehicule||Your rental vehicle will be insured in the same manner as your insured vehicle(s).||Yes|
|Accident Forgiveness||Your first accident won’t increase your car insurance premium||Yes|
|Replacement value for total loss||Also known as replacement value, your insurer will compensate you based on the purchase value of the vehicle without taking depreciation into account.||Yes|
|Alternate Transportation Benefits||Also known as loss of use of the vehicle, this covers the cost of rentals, transportation, and cabs that you had to take during the period when you were unable to use your vehicle.||Yes|
|Emergency roadside||if you are out of gas, stuck, or have a cracked wheel, road assistance is there for it.||Yes|
How much is car insurance in Calgary?
In Calgary, there are a number of factors to consider when determining the price of your car insurance:
The price of car insurance in Calgary is based on several factors:
- Your driving record, i.e. your driving history
- The place where you live: it won’t be the same thing if you live in a city or in the countryside!
- The type of vehicle you drive: Depending on the vehicle you drive, your premium will increase or not. If it is really a model that can be easily stolen, your premium will get higher. If you drive one of the most stolen cars, it is quite sure that your premium will tend to be higher.
- The use you make of your vehicle: are your journeys to and from work daily, for example? Do you use your vehicle for business purposes?
- The number of people insured on your car insurance and their driving level
- The date you obtained your driver’s license
- Third-party liability: did you choose $1 million third-party liability? More? Less? This changes your premium a lot!
- The optional coverage: did you add accident forgiveness for example? Roadside assistance? Same, this impacts your premium.
Car insurance premium in Calgary is really high, it is one of the most expensive city for car insurance. The average car insurance premium in Calgary is $1,500 per year.
What is the cheapest car insurance in Calgary?
Let's find out what are the cheap car insurance in Calgary:
|Cheapest car insurance Calgary||Discounts||Our review||Quotes|
|TD car insurance Calgary||$229.75/month |
|Allstates car insurance Calgary||$117/month|
*For a 40-year-old man/without convictions/driving an economic car.
Why car insurance in Calgary is so expensive?
Calgary is known to have one of the most expensive car insurance premiums in Alberta, Calgary is a really expensive city when it comes to car insurance.
Calgary premium car insurance is higher because:
- There are more risks: more people on the road, more theft, more collisions
- Roads are busy, and Calgary’s population has increased a lot in the last decades
- Calgary has the highest vehicle theft rate in Canada
- The weather in Alberta is not always really nice, so need to be aware all the time on the road
- Calgary is being transformed, this means that Calgary is being constructed, good thing but for traffic and collision, not really good news!
The average price of car insurance in Calgary is $1,500 per year.
What are the best discounts offered by car insurance providers in Calgary?
Calgary auto insurers offer many discounts to save money on your insurance. Here are some of HelloSafe's favourites:
- Young Driver Discounts
Many insurers offer discounts for young drivers because the insurance premium for young people is quite high.
- Group Discount
You can benefit from a discount if you are part of a group, this can be members of an association, employees of the same company etc.
- Discount for experienced drivers
You can get a discount if you have a good driving record and are over 50 years old.
- Discount for combined policies
You can get a discount by combining your car and home insurance, for example, the discount is often between 5 and 15%.
- Discount for winter tires
It’s snowing in Calgary! That’s why insurers often offer a discount if you add snow tires to your vehicle.
- Retiree discount
You may be eligible for a 15% discount on Accident Benefits
- Renewal Discount
Your loyalty can be rewarded by some insurers if, for example, you have been with them for many years without having caused any accidents. You may also be eligible for other discounts depending on the auto insurers in Ontario:
- Low mileage
Adding security to your vehicle
9 ways to get cheap auto insurance in Calgary
Here 9 tips to save on your car insurance in Calgary!
- Bundle your policies: You could easily get a discount if you buy car and home insurance from the same insurer.
- Shop and compare to get the best deal!
- Choose the right amount of deductible: If you choose a low deductible, your car insurance premium will be higher. So choose a high deductible if you want to lower your car insurance premium!
- Choose the right coverages! For example, if you drive a really old car, maybe you shouldn't need a higher level of coverage..
- Pay annually: This will avoid paying the rate fees to pay monthly.
- Security-device: you should install safety devices on your car, and you could enjoy discounts!
- Have a good driving record: the best you drive, the lower you’ll pay!
- Install a telematic device: this tool will register your driving behaviour and your car insurance premium will be adapted to your kind of driving. So, if you’re a safe driver, and you want to save money on your car insurance, go for it!
- Don’t hesitate to use the discounts we have just listed, depending on your situation. For example, if you’re a student, you will find interesting discounts for you.