Calgary Car Insurance Quotes (2024)
For the past 10 years, Calgary has had about 1 million vehicle registrations each year. That’s a lot of cars and motorcycles for a city that has just a little over that number of people. And with cars inevitably comes insurance. Car insurance in Calgary is mandatory, just like in the rest of Canada. In fact, just to get a new license plate in the city you have to show proof of insurance.
Do you know the mandatory car insurance coverage in Alberta? Is your Calgary car insurance as cheap as it could be?
This guide will tell you everything you need to know about car insurance in Calgary: what it covers, tips to save money, cheap car insurance for new drivers, where to get free online car insurance quotes in Calgary and the best car insurance for you.
Compare Alberta Car Insurance Quotes
How does car insurance work in Calgary?
In Calgary, from the moment you own a vehicle, you must insure it through a private insurer. Alberta’s auto insurance system is private, which means drivers purchase their policies from private companies and not from a Crown company. In some provinces, Crown corporations are the only provider of car insurance.
Auto insurance and car insurance rates in Calgary are regulated by the provincial government. So, if you get into an accident, car insurance companies in Calgary must at least pay to repair or replace your car, pay for your medical care and compensate for any injuries or damages the accident caused, regardless of who’s at fault.
The Alberta Automobile Insurance Rate Board (AIRB) independently regulates auto insurance ratings across Alberta. They use a grid that establishes a maximum to how much insurance companies can charge drivers for auto coverage. The better your driving history, the lower you will be on the grid and the less you will pay for the same coverage.
What does car insurance cover in Calgary?
In Calgary, basic automobile insurance (accident benefits and third-party liability) is required by law. This covers:
Accident benefits coverage
- If you are injured in an accident regardless of who is at fault
- Medical staff involved in the accident: medical care, rehabilitation and auxiliary care services
- Income replacement
- Funeral expenses
- Surviving spouses and dependents
- Material damage and bodily injury caused to others by your fault
- Legal fees and damages that derive from the accident
The minimum mandatory amount of third-party liability coverage is $200,000. However, insurance experts recommend that you increase your coverage to at least $1 million to stay protected.
And here are the most common additional options Calgary car insurance companies offer as add-ons to your car insurance to be best protected:
- Collision car insurance: This auto insurance protects you in the event of a collision of your vehicle with an object. This insurance covers property damage caused by this accident. For example, if you hit a traffic sign, you will be covered by collision insurance.
- Comprehensive car insurance: This option protects you from anything that is not a collision. It covers vandalism, glass breakage, theft, and bad weather. If you park your vehicle on the street and when you come back, one of the windows has been broken, this option will keep you protected.
- Specified Perils auto insurance: It covers you for risks that you have specified in the contract. For example, you can mention glass breakage but not include vandalism, or theft but not fire. If you’re looking for cheap car insurance in Calgary, this option might be worth considering.
- All-risk car insurance: This insurance is a combination of all other coverages for maximum protection. The deductible is the same for all damages. You will thus be protected for all incidents beyond your control, such as vandalism, but also for incidents resulting from a road accident, collision with an object or flipping your vehicle.
Calgary is inside Alberta's Hailstorm Alley, meaning that it’s hit by bad summer storms with hail causing millions of dollars in damage to vehicles each year. Comprehensive insurance or specified perils insurance will keep you protected from hail.
How much is car insurance in Calgary?
Like everywhere in Canada, car insurance cost in Calgary varies. How much you pay and what is covered will depend on the policy you purchase. The average car insurance in Calgary is about $1,500 yearly ($125 per month). However, price varies depending on multiple elements, and 2 main factors determine how much you pay: you and your car.
After insurance companies define a base premium that covers claims, bills and profit, they calculate the amount of risk you carry as a driver based on your training as a driver, the number of years you’ve had your license, how many accidents and traffic incidents you’ve had and where you live.
Good to know
It won’t be the same car insurance rate if you live in a city or in the countryside. Cities have more vehicles, which means more accidents, and an increased risk of theft and vandalism.
Finally, insurance providers consider your car. The make and model of your car influence your premium. More recent cars cost more to repair so insuring them is more expensive. Also, if your car model is easily stolen, your premium will increase.
Cars with more safety features often include many sensors to perceive danger and protect you, but more sensors also mean more potential repairs. The cheapest car insurance in Calgary is for an older, simpler model.
Here is a car insurance cost estimate in Calgary for a 40-year-old man without any claim history, driving a 2018 Toyota Corolla base model, one of the most common cars in the city, using a leading car insurance provider.
and Windshield coverage
Compare Alberta Car Insurance Quotes
What is the cheapest car insurance in Calgary?
Unfortunately, Calgary car insurance rates are the highest in the province and one of the highest in Canada. As Alberta’s largest city, Calgary has higher risks of collision, injury and theft, obliging car insurance companies to increase their premiums to cover the costs. However, there are ways to get cheaper Calgary car insurance quotes that suit your needs.
Good to know
By increasing the deductible your monthly premium will be lower, making it lighter on your wallet. The cheapest auto insurance in Calgary has a high deductible. However, keep in mind that you’ll have to pay the deductible out of pocket before your coverage kicks in.
Every driver is different, so insurance coverage and cost will be different from person to person. Because of that, it is hard to name one company that offers the cheapest rates on car insurance in Calgary. Instead, it’s always best to shop around and use the comparison tool above to get the best rates for your case.
To help you get the best rates, here are some key takeaways from a few of the most popular car insurers in Calgary:
Aviva car insurance in Calgary
- 15% discount if your vehicle has an Automatic Emergency Brake system
- 20% off on multiple-vehicle insurance
- $0 drop after 5 years of accident-free driving
- 15% discount if you avoid driving convictions for 3 years
RBC car insurance in Calgary
- Multi-car insurance discount
- Anti-theft system discount
- RBC car and home insurance bundle
- Discounts for electric or hybrid vehicles
- Retiree-friendly rates
- Winter tires discount
TD car insurance in Calgary
- Discount for 2 or more vehicles with TD Insurance
- Student discount
- TD car and home insurance bundle
- Discounts for electric or hybrid vehicles
- Retiree-friendly rates
- Winter tires discount
AMA car insurance in Calgary
- AMA MyRide app discount
- Loyalty discount after 4 years
- AMA member discount
- Special claims-free rate
- Free accident forgiveness for home and car insurance bundle
My Choice: Calgary car insurance in 2-minute
My Choice is our favourite comparison tool for comparing car insurance quotes in Alberta. It takes the guesswork out of buying insurance by offering information transparency and personally-tailored insurance quotes.
Getting quotes is quick and easy with a 2-minute form.
Our team got instant quotes from six insurers ranging from $76.92 to $184.33 for a 38-year-old man with a 2018 Toyota Yaris. Additional brokers followed up by email. On-page options let buyers quickly change deductibles and recalculate rates. While less customizable than some competing comparison tools, we appreciate the ease of use and getting multiple quotes in one place.
What car insurance company is best for young drivers in Calgary?
If you are looking for cheap car insurance in Calgary for new drivers, the best way is to compare as many companies as possible. You can do that with the comparison tool at the top of this page. By comparing several companies and policies, you can ensure that you get the cheapest auto insurance in Calgary for exactly the type of coverage you need.
Alternatively, you can speak with an insurance agent. Insuring new drivers is often expensive, but agents will know their products inside and out. However, agents can only suggest products from their insurance company. If you already have an insurance policy, for example, home insurance, ask about bundling policies. If you get auto insurance with the same company, the agent might offer you a 10 to 20% discount. The catch is that the deal they offer you might not be the lowest-priced car insurance in Calgary for your needs, even with the discount.
It’s always worth looking at different companies to compare.
Young drivers can also look for car insurance brokers in Calgary. The upside of this option is that brokers can offer products from several companies because they are independent. Brokers also tend to know their stuff. However, brokers only ever work with a portion of the insurance market, and it can be difficult to understand which companies they partner with, and most importantly, they may charge you for their services.
9 tips for getting cheaper car insurance in Calgary
Here are some ways you can save on your car insurance premiums in Calgary.
- Shop and compare companies and policies to get the best deal!
- Think about insurance before buying a car: Different cars have different prices to insure. The car's make and model will impact the premium. Before you buy a vehicle, look up which cars are the cheapest to insure.
- Bundle your policies: You could easily get a discount if you buy car and home insurance from the same insurer.
- Have a good driving record: the better you drive, the lower you’ll pay!
- Install a telematic device: this tool will register your driving behaviour and your car insurance premium will be adapted to your kind of driving. So, if you’re a safe driver, and you want to save money on your car insurance, this option will get you the best auto insurance in Calgary.
- Choose the right coverages: For example, if you drive a really old car, you may not need higher options like comprehensive coverage.
- Pay annually: This will avoid paying the rate fees to pay monthly. If it fits your budget, it’s worth it.
- Security device: Most insurers reward you with low insurance rates if you install safety devices on your car!
- Increase your deductible: Most insurance policies include a deductible you must pay before the insurer reimburses you. If you choose a low deductible, your car insurance premium will be higher. So choose a high deductible if you want to lower your car insurance premium! But make sure you can afford a higher deductible. Depending on your budget, a higher monthly premium may be worthwhile.
What is the penalty for cancelling or changing insurance in Calgary?
Penalty fees vary from policy to policy. Insurance contracts are annual agreements, and switching car insurance companies is possible, but when you do it matters. Insurance companies use either short-rating or pro-rating when someone cancels a policy.
- Pro-rated cancellation means the insurance company gives you back all the unused premiums.
- Short-rated cancellation is when the insurer keeps some of the premiums as a penalty.
Most insurers charge a short-rate fee when you change companies. To avoid this fee, check your policy. Usually, the best time to switch is right before or at the annual renewal. The fee will vary, but if your new insurance provider is giving you a good deal, it might even be worth paying the cancellation fee and changing earlier.
When switching car insurance always make sure you’re covered by your new policy before cancelling your old one.
How do you get classic car insurance in Calgary?
If you have an antique car, a modern collectible or even a vintage (decommissioned) commercial or military vehicle, then you might want to get classic car insurance.
Like all cars in Alberta, classic cars also need basic accident benefits and third-party liability insurance, but classic car insurance is worthwhile because it offers increased value and specific protection.
Classic car insurance for your antique vehicles generally includes:
- Agreed valuation: Instead of the actual cash value with depreciation and the basic replacement cost, classic car insurance gives your car a previously agreed value.
- Affordability: Perhaps surprisingly, insurance for antiques is cheaper than for modern cars. Classics aren’t as powerful or technological as modern cars, and they also tend to be used less often.
- Value" Antiques are usually more beloved than their modern counterparts, and all that time and money invested over countless weekends should be properly protected.
How do you get commercial car insurance in Calgary?
Commercial auto insurance is different from personal car insurance. Commercial auto insurance is a type of business insurance designed to cover people and vehicles used in a business context. This can mean anything from driving a taxi or an Uber to providing delivery services or even giving driving lessons.
If you use your vehicle for business purposes, even if it’s also your personal vehicle, you might need commercial car insurance. Insurance is there to protect you (and your wallet!) against the specific set of risks you face as well as the kind of vehicles you are using. That’s why it’s so important that you get an insurance policy that’s adapted to your situation. Be it truck insurance, commercial truck insurance or motorcycle insurance, it’s easy to get free online car insurance quotes for Calgary.
Protect your business vehicles for less