How much are you paying your iPhone home compared to other countries around the world? Let's find out!
This map displays the average price (in Canadian dollars, national VAT rates included) in 42 representative countries for an iPhone 11 (128GB) as of October 2020. It is made upon data provided by the Mac Index website, whose rankings are filled in with Apple website metadatas.
Why do we do a world iPhone price index?
Since the first iPhone was launched in 2007, it has become one of the most purchased products throughout the world. Even if the competition on the smartphones market is getting always stronger, the iPhone price remains in 2020 a very reliable indicator for what concerns the cost of tech products in the different parts of the world.
Top 3 countries where the iPhone 11 is the most expansive
The top 3 countries where the iPhone 11 is the cheapest
Is buying an iPhone in Canada really cheaper?
When looking at our map, Canada appears number 3 in the ranking of the countries where buying an iPhone is the cheapest in the world, with an average price of $1052. However, this indicative price does not include the local consumption taxes that apply in every Canadian province on consumer goods. It is therefore interesting to apply those local taxes to have the estimated final price of an iPhone 11 in the different provinces of Canada.
|Provinces||Consumption taxes rate (%)||Estimated price ($)|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||15||1256|
It there appears that:
- With an average estimated price of $1147 for an iPhone 11, Alberta and the Northern provinces (Yukon, Nunavut and the Northwest Territories) are the most favored in Canada, with a global consumption taxe rate of 5%.
- On the other way round, with an average estimated iPhone 11 price of $1256, New-Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince-Edward Island and Quebec are the provinces where purchasing this smartphone is the most expansive, because of a consumption tax rate of 15% (14,975% for Quebec).
- There can be a difference of more than $100 when you buy an iPhone 11 depending on where you are in Canada!
The world iPhone 11 price index ranking
|Rank||Countries||iPhone 11 price (CA$)|
|37||United Arab Emirates||1142|
An international prospective on the iPhone price
First of all, we assume here that the average prices of the iPhone 11 (128 GB) displayed on the map reflect the price of the iPhone models in general in all the countries selected. When looking at the world iPhone 11 price index, at least 3 trends appear:
- North America is by far the cheapest continent to buy an iPhone
- Europe is the continent where buying an iPhone is the most expansive
- The price of an iPhone is rather fair in Asia
However, there are exceptions. For example, the price of an iPhone in the Philippines ($1,053) or Turkey ($1,088) is very high when correlated to their people's purchasing power.
When is the iPhone 12 coming out?
Since 2010, Apple have released every September a new iPhone model, creating a buzz every year among tech lovers. However, 2020 is different. With the Covid-19 pandemic shaking the world, Apple has had a delay in the launch of its brand new iPhone 12. It has finally be presented by the company on the 13th of October.
There has been a total of 4 iPhone 12 models presented to the public:
- iPhone 12 Standard
- iPhone 12 Mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
Access all our press releases visiting our media room here.